• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

loss of turbo in 6.0 L Ford

dogs

Question

Have a 04 Ford 6L diesel, coming home tonight pulling a couple of atvs the pedal got soft on the truck. I can get it up to speed, but there is no snap in the engine anymore. I hear that Turbo problems are common in this engine. What do you think did I just loose my Turbo. Anyone else have this happen to them? (Just as I was planning a few days chasing perch)

Thanks in advance

24 answers to this question

Don't think pedal feel has anything to do with it as it is drive by wire. Possible CAC tube came off or stuck slides in the turbo vane control. If its under 100k it still is under engine warranty, bring it in and $100 will make it good to go.

Capt. I meant that I put the pedal down and the is no snap, slowly picks up speed. You say bring it in. Do you work around the cities?

Heat is the number one killer for turbos. Shutting the vehicle right after a hard drive is really bad for the turbo, because the oil that cools it is still hot. That does not give the turbo time to cool off. I always suggest that vehicles with turbos get turbo timers. Turbo timers work when you shut off the vehicle, the timer could be set to a set time, and keep the vehicle running longer to let the turbo cool.

Yes, I work for a Ford Dealer, for 4 more weeks, which will remain unnamed. Any Ford store can do the warranty work for you. Just trying to help get his truck going, not soliciting work, especially warranty work, pays so well you know...NOT.

I would definitely take it to a shop, without any more information it can be several issues, and a dealer will be able to help you out, besides if it's really the turbo...you DO want it to be in warranty.

capt don,

your only working there for 4 more weeks?, why are you leaving, does it have to do with 6.0 diesels? LOL!!

I leave for 6 months to operate the passenger boats that carry people from Grand Portage, MN to Isle Royale National Park. 6.0's have nothing to do with it, (although I have grown to hate them), the new 6.4's are going to be more interesting as we will have to remove the cab to perform any engine work.

Remove the cab?? Bold design there.

I heard those 6.4's were starting fires due to the particulate filter/trap in the exhaust. The news release said most were still on dealers lots though. Must not be selling....

dogs - Are you blowing lots of black smoke out of the exhaust?? That would be a tell-tale sign the turbo is not functioning. Could be the variable vanes not functioning or maybe a boot blew off, although most people will hear it when that happens as it's typically pretty loud under boost conditions. Lots of issues with the 6.0 so it could be any number of things. Good luck.

Sounds like you have a problem that can happen to any turbo diesel. You may have lost all turbo boost. My 2006 Sprinter van did it just a few weeks ago, but mine was the simplest of problems. It all of a sudden went to no power, no accelleration (I couldn't get out of my own way), very high engine noise, and very heavy black smoke. On mine it blew the hose between the turbo and the intercooler off the connection. Immediate fix, put the hose back on; then a trip to the dealer to check it out and clear the computer codes.

With the new 6.4 Fords you have 2 turbos. Do you have a problem with just one? This ought to be a warranty covered issue.

Good Luck

The 6.4 recall has to do with potential for a flame to come out of the tailpipe. Due to 2007 emission regs all diesels have to have this particulate filter inline on the exhaust. To regenerate they burn fuel in the filter to turn it to ash and lessen the restriction. The affected vehicles were built through March 9th, 2007 and the fix is just an update of the PCM software. As far as sales go, you seen the price of those things? The new emission regs have really driven up the price of diesel engines and the ultra low sulphur fuel makes fuel at the pump alot higher too.

How right you are, my 7.3 won't last forever. Ford has finally found a way to get me looking at Dodge, I'll miss the convieniance of making my own repairs while at work, I'll wait and see how the sale of Chrysler shakes out.

How many miles on your 7.3 ? I had 2 of them one sold at 275,000 other at 234,000 they were probably the last good Ford diesel, hang on to it you will surprised how long it will go.

The best diesel truck of all times ? Dodge 2500/3500 Cummins from 1996 to 1998, with the '98 to '98.5 on top.

The old 12 valves Cummins were just amazing.

I've been driving F350's with diesels since the first year (1983) that old 6.9 went over 500k, but the body, lets just say it was windy in it with the windows up. I've gotten 300k out of all my diesels, I would expect no less from this one, and now Ford has made all the engine parts available to us so I could rebuild it to new if it was worth it.

I'm well aware of the new emission regulations.....that's why I bought a 2006 Duramax. grin.gif Not to mention that the new Chevy's aren't the prettiest trucks, IMO. I saw the writing on the wall and traded my '03 Duramax for the '06 because I think I'll be hanging onto this one for a while and wanted one of the last good years with better looks and without the emissions garbage.

Diesel trck sales from pickups to class 8 had a good 2006, we'll see what happens from here.

Lmitout: No black smoke or noise. thanks for all the replies. try to get her in tommarrow.

Valv,

I'll have to agree with you on the Dodge Diesel in that in the long run they will save you money in just fuel costs alone over a Ford. My Dad ownes an implement dealership and we have had a total of 5 Dodges from the very first style to the latest style. Now keep in mind this is shop help driving and these trucks never leave the shop without the 5th wheel. We use them to pull 180 horse tractors and 14 row corn heads all over the country. The Dodges start to lose power around 200,000 miles and the Fords start to lose power around 250,000. Keep in mind like i said before these are long hard miles. On the very first box style Dodges we had an employee delivering a 150 horse tractor and hop the Dodge at a stop light and take out a gear. When I asked the mechanic fixing it how the rest of the gears looked and this was at 180,000 miles he said besides the 1 chipped tooth the rest of the gears looked brand new. The 2 Fords we have I have and no complaints with either beside the MPG. Here is where I do see a major difference though. The bodies of the dodges just don't hold up. It's just piddly little things like moldings on the outsides of the door, moldings in the interior falling off, Dash lights going out, buttons on the radio falling off, the seats in the old Dodges where terrible, the weather stripping on the doors falling down in places then the air seeks through and the cab is noisy, seatbelts getting stuck so you can't get them on without working on it for a bit, latches on the glove compartment breaking. I have never had any of these things happen in the Ford or Chevys that I've owned in my lifetime. I can live with these little things but if Dodge could overcome these little things I would never drive anything else as far as a Diesel Pickup goes. I do know one other thing. I would hate to be the guy that owns any of these trucks after we trade them in. All these thing I have said are just my opinion after driving them and running the business with my Dad. I do know we will continue to buy Dodges in the future.

Ok, ok, thanks everybody for the replies but let's try to keep focus on the main subject, Dogs was asking about turbo problem.

I still think due to age and probably mileage it is in the best interest to take truck to a dealer.

A coworker had the same thing happen to his ford 6.0 diesel. He took it in and it was just a computer problem, I will get more details tommorow. Good luck.

Well got the truck in today and lucked out. Turns out it was the #8 cylinder gone out. Relashed and everything is good now.