• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi Yo Silva

IFallsRon

Here's what $4 Mil gets you in what should have been a spring tuner:

Minnesota IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Silva (L, 0-3) 3.1 11 9 9 0 2 1 11.02

I think Silva will be either traded or released before the All-Star break and shift to the bullpen after 5 brutal starts. Hopefully they don't leet him start that many but we will see.

why not release this dud now? we have up and coming pitchers that could benefit from major league experience. I am sure some team would pick him up.

Did you all know who J. Santana's best friend on the team is???????

C. Silva

makes you think why they signed him...huh?

They keep saying Silva's problem is he is inconsistent. I have to disagree, i think he is quite consistent, the teams he is facing just have a bad day with the bats every once in a while. wink.gif

He is the Lohse of last year and the present. I do not understand WHY they picked up the option on this stiff. He had ONE good year. Has absoloutely stunk ever since. He said in the paper the other day that he is "ready to go " in regards to starting the season, and that he is not thinking about last year. Here's my favorite though: he is not concerned with his spring trg. stats. Say What? 20 ip- 16 hits, 11.02 ERA, and he is not concerned? Gardy better be. I agree w/ Souhans column today. No way this guy should be the #5 starter, let alone the #2 guy? Put him in the pen, it's what he deserves and where he belongs, at this point. I like our chances better w/ Garza or Perkins, at about 10% of Silvas $, no less..

Quote:

Did you all know who J. Santana's best friend on the team is???????

C. Silva

makes you think why they signed him...huh?

Interesting. Why didn't they just write up a two fer two contract special right now? (Two pitchers for $200 million.) shocked.gif

(Two pitchers for $200 million.) shocked.gif

Santana will probably be the first pitcher with a $200 million dollar contract. Look what the Cubs gave Ted Lilly, look how much Adam Eaton got, let alone the Royals giving Gil Meche $55 million, Santana is going to get paid off big time.

Im sure he will get the big contract, but Im afraid it wont be from the twins confused.gif

Quote:

Im sure he will get the big contract, but Im afraid it wont be from the twins
confused.gif

As much as I want Santana to stay a Twin, I just don't see them paying him $200 million either. And I'm not sure they should pay it, if it means you can't afford Morneau plus more because of it. Limit to how much everyday quality you can give up to get a 20 game winning pitcher.

If you had a choice between signing Morneau and Santana (assuming they were the same price), who would you sign?

Santana, 2 Cy Young's the last three years, plus he is only 27 or 28. Good pitching always beats good hitting.

Quote:

Santana, 2 Cy Young's the last three years, plus he is only 27 or 28. Good pitching always beats good hitting.

When you have both a good pitcher and a good hitter out there.

But.... Only 1 in five games you have a good pitcher out there. So that quote is faulty all over the place.

Sled

I sign Morneau, because you will have enough change left over to buy a darn respectable starting starter. I know you said if they were the same price. That makes it harder, but I'm still leaning Morneau. Don't confuse my opinion with thinking Santana is replaceable. He isn't. I sure hope the Twins can find a way to sign both of them.

true black magic only pitches in every five games. Every four if you make the playoffs. Morneau plays every game-- but he is not pitching on every play on defense, where it matters. Do the math. A pitcher that pitches 7 innings every 5 games has more say than a stud position player that avg's 4ab a game and is marginal in the field. SANTANNA every time. ask opposing teams who they fear the most in a 5 game series in the playoffs. No brainer. ALso- justin has had one ALL-Star season. Black magic, many. Salary being equal-- the Yanks would jump all over Santanna for the same price as Justin Morneau. It's really not even close.

Pitching always wins out. Santanna would likely strike out justin 3-4 times outta ten. maybe, maybe one long ball. maybe one single and one double with 3 other put-outs. that's given justin batting .300 agst Santanna, not going to happen, my point is, pitching , especially lefties, is HUGE>

another way to look at it--- keep Morneau, get rid of Santanna becasue he COSTS TO MUCH. SAve a few million and go out and get the next HI-HO SILVA to replace him. Trust me, Black MAgic's dont grow on trees, and they are in shorter supply than MVP 1b men.

Justin is more expendable than santanna. See Dougie baseball. Not going to get the production at the plate, but I rather have Santanna pitching and mient at 1st, than a guy like Silva pitching and Justin at first.

"Santanna would likely strike out justin 3-4 times outta ten. maybe, maybe one long ball. maybe one single and one double with 3 other put-outs. that's given justin batting .300 agst Santanna, not going to happen"

Mud

I hope we never have to test your theory in Yankee stadium or Cellular Field.

I think your right, if he dont pitch the way that they are expecting him to pitch, then they are going to trade him. There is no reason for them to keep him, if he is going to be playing bad. They need to have people in there rotation that are goign to be able to go out all the time, and play like they are champs.

Garza sent to AAA. Silva will be in the rotation.

I guess a 520.00 era in spring training isnt an indicator of how well a guy can pitch. Right?

At this point in the season, ERA is trumped by dollars and how many minor league options a player has left. Save a seat in the dugout for Garza. IMO he won't be gone long.

Now why Silva has a new contract? That's another thread.

I heard on a local radio station that maybe one of the reasons to send down Garza was the fact as the number 5 guy he wouldn't pitch for the first two weeks or so. Thus sending him to the minors to get some pitching.

Don't worry - this guy will be up real real soon and Silva will be sittin in the bullpen earning all that $$$$$

No Brainer - Santana is the guy you sign!

Morneau is unproven! He has had one great year.

We know what we are getting with Cytana!!

Not bad outing last night for Silva, hopefully it continues!! I am very hopeful that he can pull threw and get back to where he was a couple of years ago. It is obvious that Ryan and Gardy know what they are doing when it comes to pitching so they must see something that we dont see. I am pumped, monday can't come soon enough.

garza needs to be able to throw more than his fastball with consistancy to be a quality starter in the majors. so they sent him down to work on his other pitches. he will be back up in a couple months. as for santana vs. morneau, you obviously go for santana first. 1st basemen are a dime a dozen, but cy young pitchers are few and far between.

amen BIG SLICK. Power hitting 1b are much more around than a lefty that has won the last 2 outta 3 Cy Youngs. 1st rate teams fear santanna more than justin. Give me a stud pitcher every time over a stud 1B. Every time!!!

Quote:

Morneau is unproven! He has had one great year.

This line baffles me confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

If someone is the MVP, how can they be unproven??? confused.gifconfused.gif

Considering both players play full seasons, Johan could only affect roughly 30 games. Justin gets 4 or 5 ABS per game, 150 games roughly. His ability to produce RBIs and HR far outweighs the pitcher who throws once every five days

This thread is based on a hypothetical question. Santana and Morneau will NOT command the same salary. Reality is you will get Santana , or you get Morneau plus quality for the same money. My biggest problem with a single $200 million contract is it puts all the eggs on one basket. If Santana even returns halfway to the world of mortal pitchers, the Twinks are in a jam that year(s). It is not outrageous to to worry about a sore elbow or shoulder that slows him down to a 12-15 win season. I can think of another phenom pitcher that is taking this year off. I was shocked when Liriano went down at such a young age.

Quote:

I was shocked when Liriano went down at such a young age.

All the more reason to leave Garza in the minors for most (or at least half) of this season. About 160-170 total innings for him this year, maybe 180-185 next year, and then he will be ready for full-time starting duty in 2009.

Otherwise, you run the risk of damaging their arm early. See...Liriano, Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, AJ Burnett, et cetera.

Sometime this season, Garza can come up and be the fifth starter, skipping his start regularly when the fifth starter is not needed. That would be about the right amount of workload...this year and next.

Though that still leaves a problem with Bonser pitching too many innings this year...

The good thing is that Garza and Bonser both have a normal delivery. When Liriano first started pitching last season, Analyst were commenting on his delivery and how much it torque it puts on your elbow. I second guess alot of moves the twins make, but for the most part they always seem to end up the right way. grin.gif Can't wait for Monday night. grin.gifcool.gifwink.gif

"I second guess alot of moves the twins make, but for the most part they always seem to end up the right way."

Second guessing is our right as fans. But you are correct. The Twins are one of the best run franchises in ANY sport.