Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameson

one-year duck pond

7 posts in this topic

A temporary dam has created what hopefully will be a duck slough this year. The dam will be removed next year. I am planning on trying to get some millet going around the slough this year.

Is there anything else cheap/easy that I can do?

I'd toss a few logs / brush in there to have something for the ducks to loaf on, especially if there are wood ducks in the area.

Build a blind and pile some natural vegetation around it / plant some stuff on and around it now so any birds in there this summer are used to it.

Good luck!

Smartweed would be another one to try. It is like candy to them.

Check out this website.. I would throw freshwater shrimp in there.. Ducks love them

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Throw some duckweed in it. They go nuts for it because it is ussually full of insects. Come ot my house and I will give you all you want.

Thanks for the replies all. The pond is fed by farm field drains, so I don't think it could support the freshwater shrimp-to dirty. I may have to get some duckweed or something. Also it is a fairly treed area. It seems to really be attracting the woodies. Well, at least before this refreeze. Is their anything to do that's woodie specific? I believe there is natural nesting areas in the area, but is it to late to add houses for this year?

No, it is not to late to put up some boxes. They just started to use mine this week. Usually the rule of thumb is, as soon as you start seeing them, they start using the boxes. I kno0w with my experience that the sooner the better though.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Huntin&Fishin
      Nope. Was waiting for more responses. I checked the dnr netting scedule and varied it was not them.
    • Cobber
    • Rick
      Private landowners interested in learning more about managing their woodlands for habitat and income can attend a low-cost workshop and field tour from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, May 6, at the Cohasset Community Center at 3rd St. NW, Cohasset. The Itasca County Private Woodlands Committee is hosting the workshop with assistance from the Department of Natural Resources Cooperative Forest Management (CFM) program. The workshop aims to educate landowners about timber management and how to thoughtfully and purposely harvest trees to create better wildlife habitat and generate income from a timber sale. Woodland owners can also learn about options for enrolling in a tax incentive program to reduce property taxes. The day will begin indoors with a series of educational sessions about managing forests to benefit a variety of wildlife, working with a consulting forester to write a stewardship plan, the mechanics of a timber sale, and how to contract with a qualified logger. After lunch, participants will board busses for an afternoon tour of different sites to see first-hand the differences in unmanaged and managed timber, and previously cut timber in various stages of regeneration. “Our last workshop this winter in Palisade had over 100 attendees and we are anticipating strong interest in the Grand Rapids area, too,” said Grand Rapids area CFM Forester, Josh Donatell. “Over the last 20 years, there has been a decline in timber harvest from private lands. This program helps restore lost habitat on private land as well as promote a more stable supply of wood and fiber for the timber industry.” Pre-registration is required. The $20 cost includes lunch and field tours. Participants should dress appropriately for outdoor weather and wear sturdy shoes or boots. Anyone interested in attending or registering can contact Josh Donatell by email at josh.donatell@state.mn.us, or by phone at 218-328-8912. An agenda can be viewed online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/woodlands/workshop.html.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • SpearPike
    • SpearPike
      anybody find anything out?