Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
JBMasterAngler

Spring Time Fishing

JBMasterAngler

I've only fished kabetogama a couple times and it was in late summer, anyone want to share some advice on how the fishing is in the spring (memorial weekend). Any advice on walleyes, northerns, and smallies would be great! Thanks in advnace.

Down Deep

If we have a nice spring and the water warms up, fishing can be TV show quality. If the water is cold, then you can expect a harder time of it, but over a few days the numbers of fish should mount up. There will also be good quality in overall size. We usually stay at the western end and the evening dock fishing is excellent especially if the NW wind has been pounding the shoreline. It is also lots of fun to fish with the other people who are staying at the resort and can get wild if the bite is good. I would say that you should have a pretty good time.

JBMasterAngler

I'll mostly be targeting smallies and northerns. The times I've fished there before it was too late for the bass to be in the shallows, so I'm hoping for alot hotter action this time. But yeah, it will definitely be a good time.

Down Deep

I rarely fish smallies or Kabby or Namakan reserving that action for mid-June on Rainy and LOW. Judging from the average water temps that I’ve encountered on past Memorial weekends I would say that you may be a little early for a good bite on the smallies. I have had some pretty good northern action in some of the bays on the south shore. We generally don’t target pike unless the walleye bite goes flat.

JBMasterAngler

I have a sneaking suspicion that the water temps will be just fine this year.

duckster

JB,

It is hard to predict the weather and water temps but it is generally about the first week in June when the Smallies are going. So you should either hit the spawn or right before. If you are looking for some places on Kab I would fish the Northwest end around Hacksaw pass, gold portage and Labonty's point. I would concentrate on the rock rubble shorelines around the many islands up there. If they are not up close to shore or don't want the topwaters I would try tube jigs and work it out to deeper water.

For northerns try Tom Cod, Mud, Daley, duck and Irwin bays.

Hope that this helps.

Duckster

JBMasterAngler

Northwest side of the lake, huh? That's perfect, I'll be camping at chief wooden frog, so I'll be pretty close to all the good spots then.

Bearfan1963

I agree that the beginning of June is when the Smallie action gets pretty hot. Went up the 1st week of June last year and really had alot fun with them, except I was in the South waters of Namakan. Haven't really had alot of success in the Kab for smallies. As for Northern if your fishing they'll find you, don't generally target them, so can't tell you where the big ones might be, but me and my family catch more than our fair share just fishing for everything else.

JBMasterAngler

The majority of northerns I catch everywhere are while I'm fishing for something else...but catching a 5 or 6 pounder sure is fun on my light bass gear! What about crappies that time of year...are they worth an effort?

tearin' lips

It all boils down to the water temperature. Crappies will spawn most heavily between 59 and 63 degrees...If for some reason we do get a cold year, crappies start actively feeding around the 55 degree mark. If the water is around that 60 degree mark look for rocky points that have an assorment of bulrushes on them. Fish em with a jig and a crappie minnow, or tubies.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!