Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wensel

Current VS Ice

5 posts in this topic

Guys

ANy thoughts on the low current rate effecting the decay process of the ice, to me it seems slower melting than normal and of course I have zero patience grin.gif

I'm with you on the patience!

I have been thinking the current was no big deal but it is the only factor missing. Everything else is there but she just doesn't seem to get going.

Drilled at our place today and found a strong 2' of ice. Top 4" was mush as was the bottom 4". We've seen 2-3' of ice break-up with no problem in previous years.

Usually we look for wet spots but the whole river is wet with pools here & there but we just can't seem get started.

Best thing I've seen this week were the Canada geese. They are usually only a couple of days ahead of open water.

Doug

Give us an update when you can.. good gosh it was almost 70 here in Duluth tell me the old Rainy started to give in to the heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to fish grin.gif

Yes without the current the break-up process will be slower than normal. I still it won't be long, but you can't help but get that itch!! My only hope is that there is not as much debris when the feeder rivers break this year. It would be nice to have great fishing all the way 'til season closes.

Sorry, M & I snuck out to the lake and brought home a bucket of fish tonight so no first hand river report.

Gail had good news though and I can't believe were not going to get somewhere with this weather. Drilling the lake today you'ld think I had a sharp auger & I know better. The river has to be totally rotten and ready to bust.

Had guys fish from Peland today and they caught fish. Not huge or bunches but threw 1 over back and kept a limit + a 45" sturgeon for fun. Not a bad day for boat fishing in March.

It's comin'!