Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunrevir

Ice conditions for the a.m.?

8 posts in this topic

Hey have to check and see what the access is for the morning, should I have an ATV or plan on walking? Thanks in advance!

Tunrevir~

I'm looking for this information too. The 60+ temps today had to affect the ice and lake access.

I want to be safe so please help me and tunrevir out. smile.gif

people are still driving trucks, but the 4 wheeler is going to be the preferred method of travel from here on out. ice is still thick, just watch the cracks as they will move on you this time of year.

Just got back from mille lacs, plenty of ice, lots of trucks out. We used the wheelers as precaution. We found average of 2+ feet of ice.

Anybody notice the locals aren't the ones saying that trucks were OK???

I know they were driving out of Lybacks for sure still, we opted for the wheeler and snowmobiles. If you want to get across the crack you'll need something besides a vehicle.

Fished the North end today and there were a few trucks on the ice but most people were on 4 wheelers.

23 jumbos for four guys. Lots of lookers.

Awesome day to be on the ice.

tweed

Tunreir,

I am struggling with not being able to be out there fishing over the past two weeks. Been really busy with Appeldoorns Park Model Cabin Sales (www.appeldoornsparkmodelsales.com).

I was over at the lake on Friday afternoon and there are a number of fisherman out chasing those JUMBOS. I have talked to a number of fisherman on Friday and there is still 24 inches of ice. But I caution everyone that driving a vehicle out on the ice now is extremely dangerous!!! The higher temps along with now this rain will weaken the ice BIG TIME! Four wheelers, Wilcrafts and smaller motor craft and walking is advised.

The report was very good. Some anglers getting some really heavy buckets of Jumbo perch. The report is that smaller spoons with minnow heads and fresh water shrimp along with waxies and larva (Red) has been the bait of choice.

Again, with the rain we are getting now with those warmer temps be careful out there as the ice will start to lose its density and hardness. It may look like enough ice but the spring ice doesn't have the same hardness as early fall ice.

Good Luck and Fish On!!!