Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishing_High

Long Lake

13 posts in this topic

So what are the secrets here have a friend with a cabin up there and the bass fishing is always great. We love to fish the stumps in the south end of the lake where else can we find the big bucket mouths?

I am not a bass man at all but I know where the areas are like what you are talking about. The south end were my family has our cabin is as you put it pretty decent. Then as you head up the lake and you have two bays that you can get back into that have stumps and pads. The first is on the east side after you go past the first big point hang a right and and start heading south southeast. The other decent bay is on the west side near the north end of the lake by the camp ground there is some stumps and pads here too. The very northeast corner of the lake is the same.

Hey thanks for replying i love that first bay u described plenty of nice fish in there. this year we have a better boat and motor so we will be able to fish the north end of the lake im looking forward to getting some big ones this year.

where is the best place to catch walleye on the lake, I fished the north side last spring and came up empty for the whole weekend

depends on when you are here, give me a time frame and i will be able to help you a little more.

what are a couple of spots to try for opener

I was there the weekend after the opener, and probably will be there again the same weekend. thanks for the help

Hey yea opener would be the time frame i will first be making a trip up there. Looking for good bass and northern fishing with maybe the occasional eye. The once or twice a year i make it up to long lake it always produces fish. Musky do you work at the bait shop in town? i hope to be making it up to my buddy's cabin more this summer.

looking for help!! trying to fish for walleye on long lake the weekend after opener. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am more of a bass guy but from what ive heard it sounds like the best time to catch them on long is late at night. But my friends dad reeled in a fat 8 on a rattl trap so you never know.

I hate to say it but the eyes on Long have never been good to me that early in the year. If you have the option to travel to other lakes i would strongly suggest it at that time of year. 1st crow wing, and Potato are two really good choses for this time of year. If you must stay on long i would go to the north end and fish the north shore line. there is a good weed edge and lots of fish up there and it is shallower then most of the lake there for it warms up a touch quicker, not to mention the warm water coming in from Mud. look in 12 to 17 feet with leeches on a jig. lots of bass in that area of the lake so even if the eyes arent going you should be able to get a few fish. good luck and BE SAFE, Jonah

thanks for all the info and help, I will hopefully be able to travel to other lakes while I am there.

Long can be a very hard and difficult lake to fish. If you get in a school like my dad did last year on opening day, (caught 9 eyes in 2hrs) you can catch fish. But you can also get skunked. I have been on that lake since I was born and it has always been a tricky lake to fish, but there are definetly some big fish in there. I've witnessed probably 7 or 8 eyes over 27in.