• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Gander in EP opens 3/30/07!

Yea and you can stick to there HIGH prices!!! shocked.gif I have been in there 3 times and not ONES did a worker as me if i needed help finding anything!!! Thats my opinions on that!!!! smirk.gif

I hear you on that one. Not to chew on Cabela's but everytime I walkin there with a list and money in the hand, I come out 1 or 2 items only that can be found on my list. Not too happy. Ganders always good at having the all around. Hmm..can't wait till Bass Pro shop opens up at MOA shocked.gif I always stock up at Bass Pro - Outdoor World on the way to Chicago. They usually carry everything priced right.

Overall I'd say the new gander in EP is awesome! You'll be seeing me stop by.

That so called Bass Pro shops has been in the works for over 7 years. I am not holding my breath. That whole "Second Phase" of the MOA is all talk until they open the doors as far as I am concerned. It will be great to have some competition to drive the prices down. Most of these stores match pricing so it will help.

Gander+Cabela's+Dicks+Bass Pro Shops+Sportsman's Warehouse+local shops = We all get the best gear at the best price and they all can fight over our business as far as I am concerned

Buy the way, Gander always matches the other guys best offer...so I still end up buying it there. What can I say...I am loyal and the EP Gander has some great staff. I know most of the managers there are very good. Jerry, Brian, and Chris are over in the fishing department, making it easy to get what you want.

yea so you cant beat gander... haha I have been to the Bass Pro in Springfield and there is NO ONE even close to that around here. wink.gif

If a new Bass Pro opens up you really won't save anything. Why? Because the legislature is kicking around the idea of using $180M or so of state money (read: your tax dollars) to help fund Phase II of the MOA.

If it does get built there's a good chance, depending on how the bill is written, that you helped pay for the store.

DB

Gander in L'ville has always had what i wanted. Infact last fall i signed up for the old Gander card. Finally got back into fishing after a long hiatis. So I had to re-tool so to speak; new ice house, rods, auger, plus all the good stuff for summer fishing too. with the card you get 5% back...Well i just cashed in $375 worth of free stuff last week, plus they send out 10-20% off coupons in the mail every so often. cant beat that in my book. smirk.gif

BTW, no i didn't loose money paying interest, paid it off.

Yeah, they sent me a card for $10 off each $50 dollar purchase if I use my Gander card. Went in and bought 2 reels and saved a $100. Can't beat Gander for there discounts. laugh.gif

BASS PRO, BASS PRO, thats the big story, how great they are. MMMMM if you drive their big stores, Let me know how much you saved? Thats after gas, stopping to eat along the way, And hotel costs for those guys that really want to stock-up. Until that BP thing opens it's all talk.

Gander matchs other stores prices, And if you really do your homework you'll find so does others.

For guys that do go to Cabela's with a hand full of money as for managers. Maybe then you can get what you want.

I will buy gear where I can get the best bang for the buck.

REMEMBER THOSE SMALLER Shops. Minnetonka outdoors has things that no other store in the cities cares. Bass Pro doesn't even have some of the equipment, Tonka outdoors has.

ALL IN ALL, we have the best fishing equipment stores within 100 miles.

There's nothing wrong with gander. I have to make a trip down to Chicago every other month for business so stopping at Bass Pro a good deal. Lodging & eating payed by work cool.gif I believe bass pro got wider selection than gander, but I still shop at gander and local shops also. As for the Bass Pro at MOA, the taxing from that is nothing much. The state is always trying to find more ways to tax more so its the usual daily life. Ex: I believe taxing for metrodome is complete, but since i work downtown i still have to pay stupid tax for when i dine, lame? Second new twins stadium, blah blah, people will always build things where you will have to pay tax for. All of this just to fish just to satisfy my fishing expedition grin.gif

I second that Gander in Lakeville, they got supreme selection. Usually stuff always in stock also. I miss the Fridley Gander also...easier quickstop.

Speaking about in store selection....Can anyone tell me where to find the MapCreate Canada Topo chip? It must be the canada series NOT USA,I know I can order it on-line, but would like to pick it up ASAP(Locally)...THANKS!!

Ok, this may sound like a rant, but its my experience.

The "smaller shop" MNTKA Outdoors may have some things that the others don't, but I have not had good experience with the people who work there.

While the EP Gander is touting themselves as the bait store that wants to be known as the "BIG SCOOP", I can tell you that MNTKA OUTDOORS should be known as the bait shop with the "quarter scoop," and that they really don't know the lakes and rivers around them.

Forget MNTKA OUTDOORS, I'd rather drive farther to see Jeffy and the boys at Cabin Fever IMHO.

Quote:

Yea and you can stick to there HIGH prices!!!
shocked.gif
I have been in there 3 times and not ONES did a worker as me if i needed help finding anything!!! Thats my opinions on that!!!!
smirk.gif

like most places, employees get a good discount. Im not about to tell how much though tongue.gif

which one? rogers or owatona. I ask EVERY one I see if they need help finding something, along with almost all the other guys. Perhaps you came in when we were buisy, like christmas or during a sales, things get so crazy when you have 5 workers and 50 people asking questions.

I have had the exact opposite, I rarely get asked if I need anything when Im in the gander, and can barely step in cabelas with out someone asking if I need help. Plus, I hate to burst our bubble, but the cabelas guys are much more qualified to there jobs, many are pro and fish tourneys, or guide.

if you come in with a list and we dont have it, it is likley you came in with a list from the website or magazine. They operate out of the nebraska warehouse, and are a totaly seperate function of our name. we only have room to market a portion of the stuff they carry. I can guarantee if gander had a magazine that the same thing would happen there.

More "qualified" because you have pros, guides etc.??

PLEASE, just off the top of my head I know about 3 people who aren't any of those things, and I would put any money down they are more knowlegable and experienced fisherman than many (not all) "pro" or "guides" out there. I have fished in walleye tourneys and I wouldn't say I am more qualified than the next guy. There is just no basis for saying that "the cabelas guys are much more qualified to there jobs"... have you done research on this topic?

I guess the "un-qualified" guys at gander can relate to us un-professionals better then. Don't mean to start something here, just think you should think before you write.

Tahoe,

I second your post. I have a friend who works there, the discount is nice, but its nothing to brag about.

Also, the whole idea that most of Cabela's employees are guides, pros, is a bunch of hooey, I think "armchair fishermen" would be more appropriate.

Alright, I promise that I'm done ranting for the year and aren't due to do it again until next spring, lets go rip lips.

more qualified beacuse we have one or two guys who specilize in a certain species, as well as fish multi species. one guy does big lake trolling for salmon, another saltwater, flyfishing, another guides walleyes on millacs, two fishbass tourneys, one is an avid carp fisherman, I myself do flyfishing/ western trout/ multispecies guy, I guess what I am trying to say is we have at least one person who specializes in a certain species. I walked into a gander once and asked for some carp tips. not one of the employees had ever fished for carp. I then asked where their catfish/carp bait was. they had no dipaits, only some sausages. tongue.giflaugh.gif

The discount is probably higher than he told you, beacuse we arent supposed to tell what our discount is. but, You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.

sure gander may have a few things we dont have, but we carry WAY more things that they dont have.

Props to both gander and cabela's, as a customer I don't really care who gets better discounts or what not, just keep up with the good business/customer care! I would care more if you could control the weather grin.gif Gear is useless if we can't get out on the water wink.gif

I heard they have an awesome fly fishing section.We are going there tomorrow to check it out

Tahoe, does not matter which store you go to, Gander or Cabelas, not every one is perfect in all types of fishing. There are always someone thats not up to speed on somethings. I know guys that bass fish, or walleyes on mille lacs and can kick anyones butt.

Yet if you ask them about how to tie a wooly worm or fish a nymph. You get a hundred different looks. Nympho???

Please give the guys at either store some slack, we do the best we can!!!!!!

I think that is why they try and place the new employees in area where they are best suited and have the most knowledge they do the best they can I like walking in knowing what it is im looking for then I will ask someone if I dont know where to find what it is I want to look at.

My opinion of gander.....

of the 2 times i have been there both times there have been teenagers working that know nothing about fishing as they said"this one is really cool its got scales painted on it" and my favorite"whens lunch break?" I ended up helping their customers fiding spooks and senkoes(Im only 13)I am sending in a complaint

So Chadwick,

Who was the pro/guide/trainer working the dog training section at Cabelas? I asked last year where the Quail harness' were?and his response was. "Quail what? Um we don't carry those." Then I find them 10ft from where he was standing.

I'm just saying maybe think before you post a slam against some ones elses profession. Granted each retail chain does hire new inexperienced help. But you have to start some where in life! Don't you? Knowledge comes from experience so give the young guys a break.

ocf1,

There are no teenagers working the EP store in fishing? So you might have asked someone who works in customer service.

See ya on the water,

SportFishin'

Quote:

I walked into a gander once and asked for some carp tips. not one of the employees had ever fished for carp. I then asked where their catfish/carp bait was. they had no dipaits, only some sausages.

Just couldnt help but smirk, after touting your staff and stock you went to the competitor to ask for carp tips and buy bait?

Sometimes those clueless people in a department at any outdoor store dont work that department. I work a fishing department of an outdoors store and hate going into the hunting department in the fall. I dont hunt and have a hard time answering peoples hunting questions. I certainly try to help or get someone that can. Though sometimes thats not good enough. People expect every employee to know every department and all merchandise.

While it is rare, I have expiernced first hand people in a department that didnt know some basic lures or fishing info but sometimes stores get in a bind. They need employees and all that apply are younger teens that will take that part time, lower pay job and all the store can do is find the best of what they have.

Went to the new Gander in EP the other day and zipped in and zipped out. The store looked great and found the fishing dept to be plenty big enough. As for customer service, I was asked if I needed help finding anything and said "no". Frankly, If I ask for fishing tips at a big box store like this, I don't want them unless the girl (women catch more fish) helping me is hot and then I take it with a grain of salt. Seriously....if you go to a Cabela's or Gander or Fleet Farm (LOVE that place!) and are asking for more than "where can I find?....?" you are simply asking the wrong quetion. Do you want tips from a stockboy or girl at one of these places? Probably not UNLESS, you ask the right question. You do not want the same answer/tip that everyone else has received for the past week do you?? - Their job is to direct you to the things that you may be looking for. Your job is to have an idea what it is that you want and to get something from them that they may not have offered to another customer. Otherwise you will be sitting on a spot with the same lure/rod/bait combo as 69 (great number - LOL) other guys that visited that store. Ask the person you are dealing with about their experience. Wander other departments. Just like yolu find a kid in the fishing department who is stocking shelves and has never fished, you may find a guy in the paint department at Fleet Farm that has a cabin on a small lake near Aitkin that is more than willing to tell you about how he and his grand-daughter caught a boat load of crappies last spring in 13=14 FOW by John's place off the point with the big flag. The big stores are great. They keep it competitive and have a wide breadth of products. Getting advice on local hot spots or lures is where the small guys come in. Support them! Buy your bait there and buy something extra too even if it may be more expensive by 20-30 cents. More than once I've been able to get obsolete colors or sizes of lures that I love at local shops just because nobody else was willing to shop there. That extra dollar that you spend on the right lure may mean the difference between no fish and a limit.

KT

I live closer to Lakeville GM but decided to see the EP store today and IMO Lakeville has much more tackle than EP and as far as variety goes I'll stick to going to Cabelas. They have a lot more gear there. I have always had good service there. Cant say that about GM. One thing I have noticed this winter is the GM in Lakeville has cheaper prices than the FF across the freeway on a few things.