• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Gander in EP opens 3/30/07!

Sweet! I've been waiting patiently and had know idea that it was already open. I'm off from work next week so I know where I'll be heading!

Was there last Saturday to get a fishing license. Best set up and offerings I have seen at a Gander Mountain Store. My wife cant figure out why a fishing license cost $310, I told her I had to get a husband wife combo in case she wants to go fishing this year. Her reply was "well how much would it have been for just you to get one?" I said $18 grin.gifgrin.gif

Well done Pherris. I will see if that works on my wife. I could also use the one "I bought the kid a license too," seeing how its free for a while still. I have been stock piling cash so my wife can't see my transactions on the credit card or check book. If she asks about a new rod...."I have had that for years" or you can use the time tested excuses that your buddy left it in your boat by accident and you are just going to hang on to it for a while.

Now if she gets really defensive you just explain that the fish aren't going to jump in the boat all by themselves and you need the newest lures and equipment to fool them. My guess is that my wife didn't buy that load of crap , but she gave up non the less. Apparently, it wasn't worth her time to argue. I did find it odd that we have some new furniture though.

Nice strategies men...But what about if you want to mount that 16" crappie and the wife says no way? (BK - Are you listening?!?)

Been there twice by far the best gander in the area. 2 levels of stuff, with a great fishing section its awesome

Tell her that if she won't let you mount it, then that poor little fish died for nothing. If she says "No" again, mount it anyways and sleep on the couch for a week or two, you know that fish is worth it. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I hope my wife isn't checking this thread.

I strongly diagree......This is a horrible fishing section. I was pumped for the new gander to open in EP since i live in EP boy was i disappointed. Horrible electronics, poor rod and fishing line selection. I am still going to have to go to Lakeville Gander if i want to get fishing equiptment.

I asked why they had such little inventory as far as fishing goes, they said it was because Lakeville is a warehouse type store....dont know what that means. I am happy to have a bait shop right next door though.

Tony, I would worry about it too much. Give them a couple of weeks to get everything in. I used to work for Gander and opened all their new stores for two years. There are some kinks that need to be worked out when opening a "warehouse" type store and most of them are getting the inventory from the vendors to fill a store of that size. I am sure the inventory levels are being corrected and reordered as we write this. All and all I think it will be a great store and great addition to the area. I live in St. Louis Park and sadly it will be the closest one to me. The Grand Opening is this weekend and they will have great deals, from what I saw in the ad.

By the way, if you can't find something that you were looking for in the store. Ask for the manager and they can ask the buyers to get some of those "missing" products in. Make sure you don’t ask Johnny part timer, because the urgency might not be there, but all the managers have the influence to help you. It is truly is one of those companies that if you ask the manager, they really should be able to accommodate a request.

Sorry if I sound like a Gander ad, I just know how the company works.

Quote:

By the way, if you can't find something that you were looking for in the store. Ask for the manager and they can ask the buyers to get some of those "missing" products in. Make sure you don’t ask Johnny part timer, because the urgency might not be there, but all the managers have the influence to help you. It is truly is one of those companies that if you ask the manager, they really should be able to accommodate a request.

Sorry if I sound like a Gander ad, I just know how the company works.

Good luck with that. I've asked a few times about getting more catfish gear at the local big boxes......*crickets*

There's finally one spot I can count on, just have to drive a bit out of the ways to South Minneapolis

Tony,

Trophy is right most of our inventory is still inbound for the store & things will improve in the next weeks as far as electronics, rods, & what not. If you still think things are missing stop by and let us know what your looking for?

Dtro,

Do you mean live crickets? I'm not a Cat guy so I'm totally clueless when it comes to that stuff.

If not live crickets, stop by and chat with me friday night when this "Johny Part Timer" will be working from 5-9 & I can see if we can get what you lookng for.

See you on the open water,

Chris

Sorry Chris, no offense intended to the Johnny part time comment. Nothing was intended by it, I just have had more success with managers getting what I want. Chris, obviously you know your stuff and I will swing by to see you. By the way, who's the EP store manager?

was at the EP gander mountain yesterday and i also was not very impressed by the fishing section i like having a bait shop close though. I definately will be back to look closer at their gun selection looks like they do have a good selection of shotguns rifles and handguns.Its nice to have a gander in eden prairie nice store but still secondary to lakevilles or the one in forest lake.

TrophyEyes,

Hey no offense taken I was just pokin' fun with it. That had me LMAO today at my FT job. I think I might ask to have my name tag changed. grin.gif

The FT fishing manager for the new store is Jerry Firth. He is a walleye guy and the other is Dan Loomis they both came from the Mntka store. Paul ? is store Mngr came from the SE mn area really great guy. (His last name slips my mind sorry.) It'll come to me later.

I'm a newbie to the store working the Fly shop section mainly. I'm 38 & grew up in Hopkins and have been fishing Tonka & the SW metro lakes for 22 years now. So hopefully I can add something to the mix at the E.P. store.

One other thing to add we would like to be known as the home of the "Big Scoop" back in the bait shop. So stop on in.

Later guys gonna go have a couple cold ones on my night off before the Grand opening this weekend.

Chris

Quote:

Dtro,

Do you mean live crickets? I'm not a Cat guy so I'm totally clueless when it comes to that stuff.

That's funny grin.gif

No...crickets as in bad joke waiting for a laugh crickets

Anyways it's really tough to find good catfish gear at any bigger stores.

I'm talking about things like specialized rods, reels, terminal tackle, etc.

Walk into a GM or Cabelas and ask for no roll sinkers. I've been shown everything from rock n roll bass jigs to anchors, with that question.

There was and still is a decent market for this stuff. Finally, Moores Bait and Tackle in South Minneapolis has listened to us Catmen and now has a impressive stock of good quality gear and terminal tackle. For that, I will drive the few extra miles.

More than once I've asked about this at the big boxes and was told that the niche market wasn't big enough. Not only that, but it won't be long and they'll be putting out the portables and augers tongue.gif

I need to get there soon to see the set up... From what i ahve heard and read its is crazzy!!! cool.gif

SportFishin', I came in yesterday. Ask Brian about my Abu Garcia reel that one of the other guys broke. I had a left handed Baitcaster that I was getting some fireline put on and one of the guys started the line winder in the wrong direction and stripped all the gears. They gave me a brand new one, so no harm no foul, but I thought it was funny and really makes my previous comment ring true.

Paul is from the LaCrosse store. I ran into Jerry yesterday as well, he talked me into trying Gamma line. My guess is that I will be in on Sunday again at some point. I have to return a landing net, I think I got one that is too big. Big fish only bite when you don't have the right net to land them... right??

So your the "Guy" that had the reel broken heard all about that one. That does make your comment ring true though some of the new guys are "Really Green". Good to here they took good care of you though!

Also good to hear Jerry hooked you up with some Gamma. I'm trying that in the 4 & 6 lb this year on 4 of my Walleye jiggin rods. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Come introduce yourself I'll be camped out in the Fly shop all day Sunday from open to close.

Regards,

Chris

Was there yesterday... The Store looks great had alot of good stuff in it. I like the lay out

I was there also Friday and today right up in the front of the line. It's not often you get something for free. Actually, with all the dough I've spent there over the years, I guess it's not really free smirk.gif I liked the layout and felt there was a great selection of items in all departments. Yes there are some things that can be improved, and I'm sure there are plenty of employees hearing about them. Hopefully some of those considerations will be taken into account. Overall nice store and I found what I was looking for and more.

I worked with Jerry out at the lakeville store. Great guy, and will always put you on to good equipment. I work at Rogers, and still go down to chatt with the guys. I have even helped a few customers at Gander even if I don't work there. I feel it's worth helping others enjoy themselves out fishing.

As for the No-Roll sinkers not many people(buyers in fact) have a clue in that type of thing. You could try the flat weights used for duck hunting. Just cut the weight short and drill hole to run a drop line with a swivel on it. Sort of a bottom bouncer style set-up. Cheaper anyway!

I have to go say Hi to the guys soon. (WARNING Jerry here I come) grin.gif

Went there on Saturday. Tried my hand at shooting the balloon with the bow. I only got 10% off. Then my girlfriend tries it. Hits the small orange balloon and we get 50% off all our purchases. Needless to say, it was time to go shopping. Great store, like the layout.

I actually designed that game 3 years ago with Ray Howell. It's pretty fun and a great way to save some money. Hope you liked it.

Ill stick to cabelas...Best place ever, especialy if you work there...