Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riversmallmouth35

Spring crappies

7 posts in this topic

I am done ice fishing for the year and was wondering if there are any good early spring crappie lakes. I will be using a canoe most of the time so the lake can't be to big.

thanks for any help

If you are using a canoe, as am I. I would suggest Achmann lake on the way to Avon....There are some smaller lakes towards the Richmond area that are close to Watab and Big Fish. What I used to do to find good lakes was to just go and take a drive and as soon as you see a public access sign...stop and take a look...I did this for a few years and found some really nice little lakes...You could also try going towards Annandale.. I believe there is a lake on the way called Bass lake....Check out the DNR lake finder and browse by county....A little effort pays off greatly and you don't have to rely on someone elses opinion...I enjoyed this for many years...have fun and good luck

Is achman the lake along the highway? If it is I have fished it a little from shore but didn't have to much luck.Is island lake over by st. johns university a good crappie lake? Thanks for the help.

There are crappies in the lake but the lake is heavily fished .

I would recomend kriegle lake -south of avon

Got out to Lake Sag Friday night and Saturday night. The only lake that actually still had ice touching the shore. Caught some nice crappie both days then the rain came. Got wet from rain, but not from lake. So i guess it was worth it. I am going to be on this lake as soon as there is enough room to paddle. I believe I am done on the ice for the year...Good luck and thanks for other lake tip...

I hit Pearl and Pleasant at ice-out...always have done well w/ them! I'll be joining riverwalker on some canoe outings to Sag 4 sure though!!!