Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nate larson

Trout fishing this weekend?

22 posts in this topic

I am thinking about doing a little trout fishing this weeknd. Probably either go by Preston/Lanesboro or might head over to Whitewater. Has anyone been out lately? I am guessing the rivers are high and muddy. My best bet would probably be small streams. Let me know if anyone has any tips for these conditions. Also, if anyone wants to go with me please let me know. You can email me at larson_nate@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

Nate

Count me in! I'll bring the wax worms...hahaha grin.gif

Meaney,

I already asked your wife and she said you can't go! Let me know if she changes her mind. Anybody else up for some trout fishing???

Oh great! frown.gif

I haven't even asked her yet

That is the one nice thing about being newly single after 8 years. Nobody to tell me I can't go fishing or rip wheelies down an empty country road.

hey nate, looks like you are going solo!! haha wink.gif

i think i'm pretty booked up this wkend, but u guys should get ahold of me down the road when the season starts and i'll prob do some trout'n with ya, i'm not to big into the winter season, too many rules for me with no live bait and barbless hooks crazy.gif

I'd join ya Nate, but I'm at home with the kids this Saturday while my wife's out of the house. Saturday should be a decent day, actually. I'd imagine many streams are getting into good shape since we didn't get the brunt of Wednesday night's rain.

Live bait is allowed during the winter season, btw. Barbless still required. The special regulations passed for some streams a couple years ago go into effect every April. Winter has its own special regulations.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_streams/winter.html

Yeah sounds like Saturday should be a perfect day to get out. Too bad you are on babysitting duty. I am sure I will be having babysitting duty too in a few years so I better enjoy it now while I can.

Another quick question for you... What is the easiest way for me to join our local TU chapter? Could you email me some details at larson_nate@hotmail.com?

Thought you decided you were going to join TL Trout Limited! wink.gif

Quote:

Yeah sounds like Saturday should be a perfect day to get out. Too bad you are on babysitting duty. I am sure I will be having babysitting duty too in a few years so I better enjoy it now while I can.

Another quick question for you... What is the easiest way for me to join our local TU chapter? Could you email me some details at

Just saw this, Nate. I'll drop you a line from home this weekend.

There's a fun, big project in the works for this summer, again on Trout Run. You'll have to make it down for that one too...hopefully there'll be fewer cow pies. laugh.gif

BTW, rugbyguy, I'll get back to your email soon too. smile.gif

I would love to help with another project this year! Keep me posted on the details.

Thanks,

Nate

Nate, was it you or someone else that got the cow pie splatter in the face!?!

Well I made it out this afternoon for a few hours. I ended up catching about 10 fish (3 browns and 7 rainbows.) I used a silver vibrax spinner and also a silver and yellow panther martin. Had decent sucess with both. It was a good time and I had the streams all to myself. Streams were a little high and muddy but not bad. I ended up geting two pictures. I caught some that were bigger than these but wasn't able to juggle the camera and the fish. I am glad I made it today because it sounds like we are going to get a bunch of rain tonight.

Trout3-24-07001.jpg

Trout3-24-07002.jpg

Nice pics nate. Sounds like fun.

Nate, Awesome pictures...! I will call you when I get back to Rochester tomorrow evening and see how the fishing was.

Nice job Nate! Way to go. cool.gif

Well I wasn't planning on fishing today but the nice weather convinced me. I fished the south branch of whitewater and it was the first time I have fished that branch. There were a few other people out fishing today but still plenty of room. I ended up catching 5 fish and probably walked a couple of miles. It always seems like a long walk back to the car. Probably because I keep wanting to see what is around the next bend. smile.gif The river looked to be in good shape. It was low enough and relatively clear. The only problem I noticed was all the trash! Everywhere I looked there was garbage on the stream bank. I must have picked up 6 pop cans and plenty of other misc. junk. I could have filled up several garbage bags full but didn't have any bags with. It makes me so mad! The other problem I noticed was the stream bank erosion. People need to keep in mind that the streams banks are very vulnerable right now. Try to stay away from the edge if possilble. Here are a few pics from my outing. The first two are nice sized browns that I caught. And the third pic shows some of the streamside erosion.

Trout3-25-07004.jpg

Trout3-25-07005.jpg

Trout3-25-07001.jpg

Awesome job and pics Nate! Keep them coming. Nice work on doing your part to clean up the environment as well.

Haven't fished that area in a couple years, but I used to fish it fairly often... My sister and brother in law are moving to Rochester this summer, so I'll be visiting them often... maybe I'll see ya on the water.

flyfshrmn-

Let me know when you will be in the area. Maybe we can do some fishing together.