Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jnorm1984

Fishing opener!!!

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where they are going to fish on this sacret day? I haven’t made any decisions quite yet, but I was just wondering if anyone has their mind set on a particular water system yet??

I love when folks start talking about opener. It is one of my favorite times of the year. My favorite lakes for the opener stay the same from year to year. I love Gull. Finding the keepers this winter was a little tough but they are there somewhere. My guess is we'll have another awesome opener on Gull. It was great out there the last 2 openers. Mille Lacs is year in and year out the state's top walleye lake. Lots of active fish cruising the north end sand. Upper Hay is another sleeper lake just north of Nisswa. Round is always pretty good for the first 10 days but water levels could cause some trouble on Round this year. One of these four lakes would be my choice for opener, but there are lots of great lakes to choose from. I know that our fishing guide boats will be out in full force, the bookings are really rolling in. Our guides usually start out on Gull. Gull is just so full of fish right now it is just hard to go anywhere else. I can't wait until May. Hungry fish and nice weather. It is a tough combination to beat.

Jason Erlandson

Opener is going to be Mille Lacs on the north end, however the second and third weekend are going to be Pelican. I have a little spot on Pelican that is deadly early in the year, but you have to have the right wind. Its one of those bobber spots that you can sit there for 2 hours and catch 30-40 fish ranging from 13 inches to 26 inches. The problem is that if you are 20 feet off the spot, you are not catching anything because it is a little bowl moving into a bottom composition change and depth transition. 8-11 fow depending on the water levels.

You have got to love spring fishing when they are so predictable. Watch the water temp., wind, and depth.

Pelican is a good early lake. The bobbers work good with shiners. The nite bite can be good when trolling the raps. Always good size on pelican, 13-20'. Did get a record 3" wally on a 2" pimple this winter. Could be a few crappies in shallow yet at that time, depends on how warm it gets. Getting restless for open water.

Will be on my small lake just East of Crosslake. A few decent walleyes, tons of pike to keep us and the kids busy, and some decent crappie action to boot. That is my guess. Our best opener was when we got a bunch of crapps, a couple 21" eyes and some smaller ones, and dozens of pike hits/catches. It was also a year that four generations of us up there. That was fun!

We hope to have the four generations again this year, God willing. I can't wait!

4 generation opener