Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HateHumminbird

3/20 Report - Thanks Jon and Kelly! - w/ new pics

7 posts in this topic

It was to be my cousin's first trip to Upper Red Lake in search of the gargantuan crappies. I figured there would be no better experience than to stay in one of Kelly and Jon's sleepers to see how our luck would be.

Our luck was fine, but the weather wasn't! March felt like January with 15 degree highs and constantly switching winds that ended up NW at about 15-25mph. 2-4" of fresh snow fell and blew around as well. That didn't stop us from hole-hopping in search of the crappies.

As the trip went, we ended up with around 10 crappies, and the walleyes were biting so hard they were pests at times. They would even come in high on the Marcums so you'd think they were suspended crusing crappies until you got them to the hole.

Here was one such fish:

eye_rs.JPG

And while the next photo doesn't do justice to the blinding and pelting snow, my eyes aren't closed from the occasional blink, they're to keep the snow out! Here's another chunky 'eye.

eye2_rs.JPG

Thanks again Jon, can't wait to come up there and try out some summer crappie/eye fishing. Maybe I'll even have you guide me to some of those massive pike we saw on the cameras. I was afraid for my bait.

Joel

Nice report Joel!

The ice is looking good up there based on your photos. I'm hoping to get up there one last time this Saturday.

The snow didn't look that bad. Maybe you're going soft with us getting closer to turkey hunting season. wink.gif

It was the freezing pellet stuff. Can't see it at all on the camera, but check out the ominous skies in the background!

Those pics were both before the cold really set-in, but the wind was going with the freezing drizzle stuff and you couldn't look at it.

Good luck up there, only problem spot will be the accesses, but the ice is plenty thick!

Joel

Had a great trip up there with you Joel. Yea, the weather could have been a little nicer but that was fantastic fishing even thought we didn't slam the big crappies. Plenty of other fish to keep anyone entertained, what a fishery. Accomodations were great as were most of Jon's stories. That lake is on my list again ASAP.

Thanks

Borch, I was thinking of heading up there this Saturday as well. Interested in meeting up? Shoot me an email if you are.

You've got mail.

Here are some pics of the crappies!

todd_rs.jpg

denny_rs.jpg

Joel