• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where to Start ? some land management ?

big drift

Thanks for any help in advance, we hunt both North Dakota and Minnesota. On the North Dakota we hunt a strip of woods along the Red River just North of Fargo. It is all private land. The land has really not been managed but has always held deer.

Last year we implemented a minimum 8 point rule past the ears on bucks.

As far as land practices the area is a mixed hardwoods and scrub. There are large areas of cockleburr taking over and we want to thin it out suggestions? We are also placing out mineral licks in 3 locations. Our biggest concern is the weeds and establishing food plots.

As we have a mixed group of older and younger hunters the work is restricted to about 4 of us with limited equipment resources. A lot of the area has downed log jams from spring flooding and junk. As it was an old farm we are considering pulling out the old fencelines, posts and equipment we find there.

As I stated this is a project none of us have tackled before so any ideas comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You mention you hunt MN and ND.

Are you talking about just the ND side for the land managment? By the looks of it, I think you are.

If you have MN land too, I can talk your ear off with programs the DNR and USFWS have to offer. Some financial assistance, and some is just good sound advice.

BLB, yes I am talking about the NoDak side in MN we hunt public land and some friends properties. The NoDak stuff is where we are planning to take the kids in a few short years.

• 2 weeks later...

Blb, I would like to know more about Gov. programs for land

management. Thanks.