• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was just wondering if anyone eats white bass, I have never tried eating them. I have always stayed away from bass seeing they get mushy when it gets warmout. If so how do you prepare them and what do they taste like? any help would be appreciated

They are excellent smoked!!! I honestly think they taste better than walleye. I suppose you could fry them too, but I've only tried them smoked and don't think I could try them any other way.

Okay, I've tried them on a few occassions and I thought they were pretty good?

I only kept the small ones, about the size of a good sized white crappie, maybe 12 inches? I fillet them out just like the other fish, treat em in the same manner as the other fish and fry them up the same way and I think the ones I have tried were really good?

It might be a case of where you get them from also and what time of the year...seems different fish taste different at different times, of course, winter being the best time.

I'm working up to a sheephead...did a small one up last summer, but just couldn't get past a certain point....fed it to the cat!

Depends on what you like to eat for fish! They have a tuffer texture and eat alot of shad. I would rather eat a bullhead (no thanks). Right after ice out catch some gils and crappies and release those.

white bass is pretty good if u know how to cook them. me and AIT guy have our ways of cookin them. soup to deep fried with a little sauce on top of it and you'll never want to release one again.

Quote:

Depends on what you like to eat for fish! They have a tuffer texture and eat alot of shad. I would rather eat a bullhead (no thanks). Right after ice out catch some gils and crappies and release those.

LOL, rather eat a bullhead eh? You sure? Bullheads aren't half bad either. Rather tasty too if done right.

Actually White Bass are very good tasting. I don't know where some of you got the idea that they don't taste good. If you do then you either have never ate them or don't know how to cook a fish. No offense but I think the majority here only know how to filet and pan fry.

Deep or pan fried, soup, baked or whatever. They taste great. Cook them in some tomato olive oil sauce with asian spicy peppers. Or bake it wrapped in banana leaves.

As good as they are to eat, they're even gooder (I invented that word) to catch...especially when you hit a school of 2+ pounders.

White bass and other softer fish like croppies are great boiled in salt water for 2 or 3 min. and made into fish cowder. There should be some cowder recipes in the recipies thread. wink.gif

Quote:

White bass and other softer fish like croppies are great boiled in salt water for 2 or 3 min. and made into fish cowder. There should be some cowder recipes in the recipies thread.
wink.gif

You mean Crappies & fish Chowder? Never tried fish chowder before...

I've had walleye chowder at a restaurant before. It was the BEST chowder of any kind I have EVER had!!! If anyone is on the gunflint trail I suggest you stop at the gunflint lodge and try it.

I believe it depends alot on time of year(algea-wise) & which lakes. I found this to be true over the years.One year I caught crappies in the creek on the West side of Shields Lake & they were great, summer time got them out in the main lake 15-20' & they tasted very weedy. ?? Back in the day when I ate largemouth, most were good, but if you got them in the lily pads they tasted a little murky. Also when I cleaned them you have to make sure to cut out the brownish lateral line in the fillet if there is one. just a thought. L2f

Some people will argue White Bass taste similiar to Walleyes.

The brownish lateral line down the middle is the blood & oily fat line. You need not cut it out if the fish is properly kept alive in a well or on ice. In the spring or late fall when the water is cool & cold you really need not cut it out at all. But in the summer months this can help rid the smell & weedy or muddy taste off the fish.

Some folks may cut and bleed the fish right away and throw them on ice in a cooler. The meat is fresher and cooks up whiter. Do not tie them to a stringer. If you must keep them alive in a aerated live well away from warm water or heat.

But there is nothing wrong with eating the lateral line meat of the fish. It is not harmful in any way that I know of.

White bass meat should be prepared and cleaned as soon as possible. Freezing and thawing it will become mushy & smelly.

nothin wrong with a good meal of bullywhoppers,mudsharks,bottomfeeders,or whatever you want to call them early in the spring.in fact at our smelt feeds the bullheads are the first to run out

I like to call them mud rockets and yeah they aren't to bad out of cold water. Ever had them at Bullhead days thos are actually quite good.

I know a few guys that say they are just as good as a walleye. I was told to soak them in milk over night before frying them up. I might give it a try this year. I will say they are a blast to catch.

Umm, they taste like bass...not like crappies nor like walleyes. Not like large mouths nor like small mouths, but they taste like white bass.