Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunterlaker

Is it legal??

21 posts in this topic

I was wondering if it a "legal" to hang deer carcuses from a tree all winter for "feeding" the birds? It seems to me that it would be illegal

( dont ask why).as far as I know you must properly dispose of them, and where would you get one this time of the year except for a road kill.....................

As far as I know it's legal to hang a deer carcass for the birds. People up here do it all the time, and I've never heard different. I believe a DNR permit is required to possess a road-killed deer.

I've seen it done around here as well. Better that then in the ditch like I've seen. I would bet if you asked a sheriff for a road kill he'd let take it home. Might not be the best time of year though, with warmer temps and all. Stinky.

I talked to a C.O. and it is legal if the deer is taken legally or a permit for road kill and no meat is wasted.(See wanton Waste Laws}

This is a bad EYE sore so do it where others do not see it smirk.gif :smirk.:

Also sounds like a good way to attract other critters of the four legged variety.

Yes matt Dog's shocked.gif.

I dont want to do it....someone else is and it is causing problems.............

I'm lucky, it pays to have good neighbors.

I guess I'd talk to the guy and see if you can get it taken care of, but I'll bet you already tried that.

Good Luck.

I think there are better ways to feed birds than hang a deer carcass in your yard. I think having to worry about all the other animals coming into the neighborhood to feed on it would be a problem.

We only have live deer around our place ,,but late last season some one gutted a deer near on our property and of course our dogs got into it ,,I would like to find the person and charge them for the carpet cleaning ,,,I have hung deer tallo for the birds but never a carcass

Randoid

AW come on Steve!!! Don't you think your neighbors would like a new ornament on the tree in your front yard.. wink.gifwink.giflaugh.gif

Jar Jar

LOL cool.gif,,,I think Sandy would enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

Randoid

Quote:

We only have live deer around our place ,,but late last season some one gutted a deer near on our property and of course our dogs got into it ,,I would like to find the person and charge them for the carpet cleaning ,,,I have hung deer tallo for the birds but never a carcass

Randoid

Same here. Someone threw out the legs and head and other unusable deer parts on my land and my dog found them and had the same gastro-intestinal problems yours did till I followed him one day and found the garbage and was able to haul the parts out. I wouldn't hang a deer for the birds for that reason.

In the city no its not good, out in the country away from neighbors, I don't see it as a big deal.

Hung in a tree the only critter you might get into it is a pine martin.

They're pretty commonly hung in people's yard trees out of town up here, not in town.

All the birds that come to suet will come to a deer carcass. Most are the remains of the deer hunt, not a fresh carcass, so there are scraps of meat and tallow. Pine marten, fisher, any of the smaller members of the weasel family, as well as squirrels, will eat the tallow, and sometimes they get pulled down by wolves or coyotes at night and drug off.

If I lived out in the woods I'd have no problems hanging one like that.

Cousin cleared it with a CO in NW Iowa. Built a Buzzard Bird Feeder. Large pole in the ground with a 8 x 8 platform on top (w/bracing). Uses a ladder to put road kill on top so it keeps most four legged critters away.

Finns.

guess we could have our front yards look like this as we drive by.... grin.gif......not sure if my neighbor would like it to much though shocked.gif........then again,I 'm not real fond of my neighbor grin.gif.....(looks like a critter gnarled on that one rib! shocked.gif)

ribs1.jpg

but the birds sure love the tallow!....

winternuthatch.jpg

After the deer season we usually leave the remains hanging in the trees for the birds. they love it and it is good for them in the winter. I probobly would not do it in town but here at home it bothers nobody else. Do you guys no the definition of a good neighbor?

Quote:

Do you guys no the definition of a good neighbor?

Someone who is deaf, dumb, blind, tolerant, who makes no noise nor emits no strong odors himself, but who always has free beer for his next-door neighbor. grin.gif

Or you could just say, as the poet Robert Frost did, that good fences make good neighbors. smirk.gif

Now that would be a good neighbor.