Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northland Sportsman

Lake Access this weekend

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to get a trip planned for this weekend and was looking for an update on the accesses. I called a few resorts and it sounds like the houses are coming off the lake due to access issues. So what does this weekend look like? Trucks or wheelers? Thanks for the input!

We're planning on pulling our houses off Hillman's road on Sunday. Rain Monday and Tuesday.

I suppose it is a bit early to tell but will truck traffic be allowed on the ice out of Hillmans on Sat? will bring wheelers just in case but would be nice to just drive the trucks

lots of water on the road driving in. 4-8 inches of water. Fishing was ok, a few crappies and a dozen walleyes.

Any updates? We are heading up in the morning and I'll be making some calls but figured I'd ask now also.

The water on the ice is going down. Way better travel tonight then this morning. Hillman's road will be open for trucks this weekend but there is one place we will have to watch out for. When the lake froze with the west wind it pushed all of the bullrushes towards shore and froze. Then the wind switched and pushed that line of frozen bullrushes back out into the lake about 100 yards. That line of bullrushes frozen into the ice is drawing the suns rays and the ground heat is coming from below. That will be the first place to go. I'm guessing that it is 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep there.

We fished out of Morts Dock Wednesday night and Thursday morning and did real well on crappies in just 11 feet of water not too far from the crappie cribs. The crappies were just about where Todd told us to look for them, that Todd sure knows his stuff. The weather was not too bad so we were able to quite a bit of hole hoping in the area and that is the secret to catching crappies on Red Lake.

Morts access was in excellent shape with just 2 small cracks to cross both had good bridges over them, no water to drive through at all. Todd is confident that their access will hold up to truck traffic most if not all of this weekend, I do believe that Morts is the only access left open on the south shore this winter and from the sounds of it will be the only access left open next summer on the south shore.

Oh, did I forget to mention the walleyes, most of the time they were impossible to get away from, the only way we could get any sleep at night was to pull up our lines, unbelievable is all I can say.

What other lake can you go to and catch walleye after walleye, after the season is closed, we see the results of catch and release on the shoreline after ice out.