Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Banger

Ice out dates (take a guess)

14 posts in this topic

Was on my way to work this morning and saw that the ice was turning pretty dark and that some of the smaller potholes were pulling away from the edges.

Any guesses as to when the ice will be coming off? Last year I watched the ice go off of Le Homme Dieu on the 9th of April. I am thinking closer to the 15th this year.

I can't wait to get back out in the boat again this spring to chase some crappies!

Has anybody been out on any of the area lakes lately? What are the ice conditions like? Are the crappies still deep, or have they begun to move in? I might be headed to Miltona this weekend.

As for my guess, i'll say April 10th, with this rain and forecast warm temps, we should get melting from the top and the bottom of the ice.

I drove out on a lake today, checking the areas for junk and fishing. What a mess on the lake. I picked up a load of junk including wood, cans, bottles, nice scoop shovel, extension cord, lighted bobber and 2 jigs.

There was about 28 inches of ice. I didn't use tape measure, but had to kick slush away to get through.

As for ice out, it will happen around the 15 th of April, give or take a few days, as it has done for many years. Depends on how hot, rain, wind....

Before it opens get out to the heavily fished areas and pick up garbage, and find some useable stuff. Brent

We should have a better idea after this weekend. If the temps. stay in the 50's during the day and not below freezing at night then I would guess April 12th to 15th. I would like to see some rain or snow to help raise the lake levels this spring.

i'll say april 20, who knows what the weather going to do in minnesota???

The ice has gone out on Lake Minnewaska on April 9th the past two years. My guess is the 10th. I hope I don't have to buy my wife a steak again this year. confused.gif

If this weather keeps up, we may be waterskiing by Monday.

My guess is that the ice on Le Homme Dieu will go out on April 9th.

64 tommorrow, rain and 50's on sunday, 50's and rain forecasted all next week, throw a little wind in there and my guess is April 4th. Bring the open water!!!!

A quick drive around the lakes tonight after a fish fry. Everything is black with the shore line deteriorating at a fast pace. If we could get some sunshine and a stong wind they would go out over night. Or one more good inch of warm rain would do it to. Putting together the panfish box as I type, picked up a few new items at the NW sports show, and I am just itching to get the boat wet.

good luck on getting sunshine overnight. Hint to get boat wet: get out the garden hose and spray away might help with the fishing itch. WISH SOMEONE WOULDVE TOLD ME LATHERING UP WITH CALOMINE LOTION WOULDNT TAKE THE FISHING ITCH AWAY. DAM I LOOK LIKE THE PINK PANTHER. GOOD LUCK FISHING!

kaz,(pinky), took your advice, sprayed the boat off, didn't help at all. Still hoping for that midnight sun and a stiff breeze. Rain ain't all that warm either. I'm still holding on to the hope of 4-4-07 ice out in my area.

Is Le Homme Dieu ice-free? The lakes here in Forest Lake are all dark blue...but with ripples. They all opened up over the weekend.

It looks like I am the winner!!!!! laugh.gif At least in this area. At least 2 inches on the ground here so far. Temps are supposed to stay in the mid 30's to low 40's for a while. Should continue to replenish the water levels. Some of those landings were getting pretty dicey last fall.

Anybody want to make a guess on our next 75 degree day??

Your ice went out yesterday? Heck, with this cold weather, we are going to make more ice!!! Nasty weather.