Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10Bears

Instead of a looper bug

15 posts in this topic

I've had good luck fishing stream trout with a Berkley Power Nymph on a jig head. I would think they would work under a bobber instead of a looper bug like you guys use. They have the scent thing going for them as well as the action of the soft plastic with the little legs and feelers. Another thing that might work is a lunker city helgie.

Thanks for the tip. Based on what I've seen around here, the looper bug is sacred, and talking bad about it is a good way to get yourself shot. But, I'll be sure to give those nymphs a try.

Brandones - Let me know how they work. I am curious to know how they work on loopers because I have caught brookies, browns, rainbows and cutthroats on them. For trout I like the 2 natural colors they make - either toad or olive/pearl. But you never know the bright flo. colors might work too. I've caught walleyes on the flo. orange/chart. ones.

The thought of using a power nymph has crossed my mind several times over the past few years ,,there is just no place around here that stocks them ,,I will have to just order them right from Berkley,,Cabela's doesnt list them on their website or their catalogs ,,and Gander Mountain!!!! Well,,,,nuff said

Randoid

I don't know if you have a Sportsmans Warehouse around there but that's where I get mine. You can also order them from Janns Netcraft online.

pretty much anything that looks buggy will catch loopers under a bobber. I fly fish for them a lot out in the lake and catch them on a variety of different nymphs. the superior x legs seems to work the best for me, although i tie it a bit different then the local fly shops. it seems those loopers really like the rubber legs, which is probally why the looper bug is so effective, but I have caught loopers on many different flies, and yes they fish just fine under a bobber with spinning gear, just add a little lead or a bead when you tie them or add some split shot to your line.

Quickstrike, have you ever tied your flies using a jig hook so that they're not hanging straight down under the bobber, or does that not matter?

The Looper bugs are made locally and have been very effective. Still, nothing wrong with trying different things.

I like to hear of and see people catch fish with new baits. Glad to see someone interested in something other than the bugs. I'm kinda partial to a nice looper bug though. Not quite sure I could bring myself to be the innovator. I think I just have too much patience with that furry legged little bait.

I've never tied on jigs, but I'm sure it would work just fine. I know that looper bugs work as well as anything but I personally get more satisfaction catching fish on a fly i tied myself. There's just something about it that is really cool in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more... I've been tying my own flies for the past 8 years, and I have to say, there's a great feeling of satisfaction when you spend a half hour making the perfect fly, and a monster fish destroys it in 20 seconds.

WOW,,,Duluth Gander has now started to carry berkley micros,,so I stocked up on a few items ,,,they moved the fishing gear across the building so I will have to reacclimate to find the things I need/want

Randoid

I dont understand that moving of the fishing dept. Wouldnt You think they would want it buy the baitshop?

TearnLips whats the thought process behind the move?

Gander better hurry up and get their stuff together. If a Cabelas comes in it could really hurt Gander.

I asked the guy last night and he said they wanted the fishing by the expanded boat department. they now carry the full line of Trackers.

It makes sense if you think about it. You go in to buy a couple cranks and some line, you walk buy the boats and decide to buy a boat too!!

I like the makings of the new layout AND it gives them a chance to sort products to add to clearance. I plan on going tmrw after the shore to check out the bins of 'junk'. Noticed a few muskie baits that were priced in my range.