• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I see that in different parts of the country the guys are claiming that the pink plastic worm is the hottest thing going for steelhead. But I don't see anybody mention it for fishing steelhead on the north shore. Has anybody tried it?

I have seen that as well. As with anything else up this far north we are the last to hear about and it usually some of the last to break down and try. I dont see why it wouldnt work. Like with any other type of fishing we all have our styles that work and at times trying something new that may or may not work can be a struggle.

Try it you may be the guy with the hot hand at times. I know fish get used to seeing the same old thing and at times somethng totally out of the norm can really produce.

When i lived out in challis Idaho i tried a lots of different tactics. I used a couple of different types of plastics. Most any thing pink or orange worked well. I prefer a small green jig with some cheap tiny pink shrimp on the jig. I have used these tactics both in the rivers of Idaho and washington also on the big pond and done extreamly well.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

One thing about the North Shore is, what ever you tie on its not going to last to long. Not with the snags and type rivers we have.

Drifting yarn and spawn was adopted from the west coast, those have fit well on the North Shore where you have shallow water and short drifts. They drift Hot'n Tots out west as well, thats something that won't work here.

The pink worm I haven't seen used here. Not that it won't work, it might get expensive though. Also I'm sure there are others that feel like I do. You get good and confident using yarn and thats all you need. Its a simple, unfettered technique but one that takes skill. Will other stuff work, yes it will but when you go out with the intent on getting your Steelhead on yarn, nothing will stop you.

try a pattern such as a san juan worm, you might be surprised. wink.gif I also use nymphs such as stones, princes, and x leg patterns. Yarn is my go to technique, but if the water clears and you're not hooking fish, don't be afraid to try something different.

"They drift Hot'n Tots out west as well, thats something that won't work here." Yes they do frank It depends on what river you are on I have had good luck with these presentations so be versatile out there smirk.gif.