• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Curious... Becoming a Guide?

Dances with Walleye

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Guides do not need to be licensed or need any special training for inland wader lakes.

They do need a USCG six-pac captains lic. for border waters and the great lakes and maybe a couple of other large coast gard controlled waters.

Cliff

I thought it was also required for any of the lakes the Mississippi river flows through. Some mighty fine waters there.

Basscatcher, you just made my VIP list! grin.gif

Guys like Basscatcher make this job the best job in the world.

Borch,

You are probably right about that!

The Mississippi is a border river between states.

Cliff

The 6 pack USCG lic is different for the border waters vs. the great lakes. Just about anyone can get the border waters lic. The great lakes lic you need to have so many hours on the water with a licensed captain and CPR certified. Also when you are fishing the great lakes and its tributaries you need a commercial fishing license and these are 125 a year for the MN lic.

I know were you can get guide insurance under 700 a year if you have a good record and the policy covers you up to a million. Let me know if you want the info.

eye's: shoot me an e-mail, because I am with Old United Casualty, and it is very expensive. Also, I shopped around and they had the best pricing. So yes guide insurance is expensive, unless you have a secret company. Then I'm in. smile.gif

I would say, after reading all the comments, that guiding is a great part-time occupation. I love it! grin.gif

Dances with walleyes,

Don't necessarily let all of the negatives that you hear discourage you. I can't give you any help with information about guiding specifically but I have started a couple of small part-time businesses. My last business was lawn care. I researched for a couple of years and I heard all of the same horror stories. Everyone told me all of the negatives and very little of the positives. If I would have listened to them I would have never done it.

I do have to say that I am going to quit my business this year but it has more to do with some personal issues than whether or not my business was profitable. It will be whatever you put into it.

My opinion is, if you are serious and committed, then you should put in your time doing your own research. If after covering all your bases everything looks the way you like then GO FOR IT.

But by all means if you do, take the advise given here and purchase liability insurance. Call around and look for the best deal. Policies may be different depending on the individual situation. Make sure that the Insurance agent knows that you will be doing this part-time. When I got my liability policy for my lawn care biz, my policy was cheaper as long as I was taking in under X-amount of dollars per year(I can't remember the exact figure)so my policy was only $400 per year. I thought of that as pretty cheap peace of mind. I'm sure it is different for a guide but that is just my experience.

Quote:

Dances with walleyes,

Don't necessarily let all of the negatives that you hear discourage you. I can't give you any help with information about guiding specifically but I have started a couple of small part-time businesses. My last business was lawn care. I researched for a couple of years and I heard all of the same horror stories. Everyone told me all of the negatives and very little of the positives. If I would have listened to them I would have never done it.

I do have to say that I am going to quit my business this year but it has more to do with some personal issues than whether or not my business was profitable. It will be whatever you put into it.

My opinion is, if you are serious and committed, then you should put in your time doing your own research. If after covering all your bases everything looks the way you like then GO FOR IT.

But by all means if you do, take the advise given here and purchase liability insurance. Call around and look for the best deal. Policies may be different depending on the individual situation. Make sure that the Insurance agent knows that you will be doing this part-time. When I got my liability policy for my lawn care biz, my policy was cheaper as long as I was taking in under X-amount of dollars per year(I can't remember the exact figure)so my policy was only $400 per year. I thought of that as pretty cheap peace of mind. I'm sure it is different for a guide but that is just my experience.

Thanks Bro...

Yeah I've decided I'm going to take this season to research and learn about teaching...

I've got some friends that are somewhat rookie anglers... Not total noobs who don't know how to tie a knot, but they seriously struggle with anything beyond pan fish and the occasional large mouth.

They're excited to learn more and spend time on the water with me... So I'm going to take the lessons that I have to teach them this year, as sort of "Practice" for if I decide to try my hand guiding next year.

I've been guiding and running a guiding business for more than 10 years. The other guys are giving you lots of good advise. Just a couple of things I can add: First, you really have to want to do it for the right reasons. Money isn't the right reason...if money is a key modivation for guiding your better off looking for a much steadier occupation. Look for something year round.

Your boat and equipment get wrecked when you guide, trust me. I burnout a trolling motor a year. Batteries don't last, pumps die, carpets wear out, your outboards get extensive usage and you get nothing for them at resale or trade in. Not to mention the crappy warranty you get when using your equipment commercially. Your health is also at risk, dangers are everywhere and the sun will take the life out of you if your not careful. Fuel costs are through the roof and that hurts your bottom line.

But... after all this, guiding is rewarding in many other ways and don't let anyone tell you not to do it if you feel it to be a calling. (It is a calling not a vocation)

Finally, you won't get rich guiding. You'll make gas money and maybe it will help pay for your boat. Your best bet is get a good education, get a good job with benefits, available time off and then make guiding a hobby. Most guys last a year or two at it. I've been at it since I was 15, I have never paid a boat off before it was worn out and I'm now I passed my prime. But I still love guiding and hope it what I'm doing when I die.

Jackfish

www.jackfishhammy.com

Quote:

I've been guiding and running a guiding business for more than 10 years. The other guys are giving you lots of good advise. Just a couple of things I can add: First, you really have to want to do it for the right reasons. Money isn't the right reason...if money is a key modivation for guiding your better off looking for a much steadier occupation. Look for something year round.

Your boat and equipment get wrecked when you guide, trust me. I burnout a trolling motor a year. Batteries don't last, pumps die, carpets wear out, your outboards get extensive usage and you get nothing for them at resale or trade in. Not to mention the crappy warranty you get when using your equipment commercially. Your health is also at risk, dangers are everywhere and the sun will take the life out of you if your not careful. Fuel costs are through the roof and that hurts your bottom line.

But... after all this, guiding is rewarding in many other ways and don't let anyone tell you not to do it if you feel it to be a calling. (It is a calling not a vocation)

Finally, you won't get rich guiding. You'll make gas money and maybe it will help pay for your boat. Your best bet is get a good education, get a good job with benefits, available time off and then make guiding a hobby. Most guys last a year or two at it. I've been at it since I was 15, I have never paid a boat off before it was worn out and I'm now I passed my prime. But I still love guiding and hope it what I'm doing when I die.

Jackfish

Jackfish,

You nailed it!! laugh.gif

Cliff

Quote:

Finally, you won't get rich guiding. You'll make gas money and maybe it will help pay for your boat. Your best bet is get a good education, get a good job with benefits, available time off and then make guiding a hobby.

That is dead on. I guide full time, it is my main source of income year round. Yet I still have to do welding jobs, help on the farm and fix heavy equipment to make it all come together. It truly is a way of life that you chose. If you want security, a retirment and benifits a 9-5 in the city is your best bet. If your love of the outdoors makes you a terrible 9-5er maybe guiding is the life you want.

Now I would second or third the motion to try it out with your buddies and see how it goes then step into it part-time and who know, maybe in few years we will be fighting over booths at the sportshow. wink.gif

This thread has been interesting. I never really looked at it from the newbie point of view. Growing up in the family I did guiding is a way of life, once we get old enough to see over the bow your a guide. I spent a few years trying out the 9-5 in the city looking for that retirement and benifits. What I realized was I was always working for the weekend so I could go guiding. Guess I'm a guide no matter what so it is what I do, and I truly love it.

Make your buddies clients and give it a try, trouble is your buddies will always stiff ya and never tip. laugh.gif