• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallmouth Canadian Side Late May

Will be staying on private island not far into canadian waters from Int'l Falls. Looking for some specific bays to target smallmouth where they will be looking to spawn. Will be there 5/20 - 5/24 and based on my research smallies probably still prespawn and looking for warming flats. What bays/spots should i be going to. I don't know the lake well and am trying to shorten the learning curve with some specifics. Lure selection would also be helpful although i am sure with all the tackle our group lugs up there we could open a cabelas out of the back of our boat.

Thanks a lot

Bill

Check out a link to the Rainy or Crow post just a couple rows down, here's the link. http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1020357&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Also it is helpful to use the search feature on this site or page back until the spring of last year. There is alot of helpful information there.

As for tackle you will want to use suface lures such as poppers, jerk baits, shallower running raps, preferably 1-3 foot runners, and plastics. Your better raps are going to be #11 floaters in white/chartruese, orange, black/silver, blue/white, and firetiger. X-raps are also great in the same colors. Various colors of plastics and poppers work as well.

Any more questions feel free to ask. Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

There are some really good bays close by to where you are probably staying. Almost every bay that has shallow black bottom with boulders suitable for spawning, will have fish. If the water is cold and not warming fast, then the fish can be found bunched up on the primary breaks into the shallow zones they will be using. You can never go too shallow or too far into a shallow bay while searching. Once you figure out whether its a primary break thing, in front of the reeds, between the cattails on the rock, or what ever bite you find, duplicate the bite in the next available water. Most of the fish are doing the same thing at the same time.

Make a milk run.

Toss plastic, like 3 inch brown colored tubes, with very light weight inserted jig heads. Second bring husky jerks that resemble smelt for the break fish.

Pack a lunch for the first few days and just follow the shoreline anywhere up there and read the map. Pockets and zones of fish will be found regularly, if you look in the right places.

R_D

Thanks to both of you. I am new to the site and did not realize all the information at my disposal until after i posted my question. i went on to read the Rainy/Crow link and felt like a complete knucklehead as much of what i was asking was answered.

Incidentally, when we fished on American side couple of years ago the water clarity was tannic and dark. Line type did not seem too important. I have heard that water is clearer on Canadian side. True? If so is flourocarbon recommended? How sensitive to line are they?

Thanks again for the great information. I don't know how i will get through the next 60 days.

Bill

Not a problem at all Bill. Our group here on this site wants to make sure you have the proper information to get you started, so questions are no bother to us.

I use the same line on the Canadian Side as I do on the American Side, especially in Redgut. The further north you get into Northwest Bay, Ash Bay, etc. the water gets clearer. I haven't really found line to affect the fish much though.

On my spinning rod I have 10 pound fireline, just the regular smoke. On my baitcasters I have a variety of different lines and I am experimenting to find one that I want to stick with, but I used Berkley Vanish last year in 14 lb. and liked it alot. I have tried some braids, but just haven't found one that I really like yet. My primary rod is going to be spooled with 12 or 14 lb. Vanish Transition. It is a new line that Berkley came out with for the 2007 year. My rep. showed it to me and it looks like really good stuff. It is a smoke color above the water to make it easier to see/detect bites, but when not in contact with the sun's rays(i.e under water) it turns invisible.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, and as I said keep checking this site for the smallie updates...I am sure there will be more than plenty of them.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

We fish the canada side every fall and I have had the best experience with original Spiderwire, 20lb test looks like 6lb. Really tough and holds up to the rocks well. On spincast reels I use Spiderwire Fusion. I haven't lost a lure to line failure in several summers. You are going to have a ball!

I saw somewhere on the site that smallmouth bass season is closed until May27th in canada or minn. Is this true on Rainy Lake? If we are targeting say walleye with an x-rap or jerk bait and happen to catch and release a smallmouth, are we in violation of any rules.

Also what kind of license do we need to get to fish both canadian and us portions of rainy? I am guessing we will need both licenses. Is there a way to get the Canadian License online?

HEY WST.,

RAINY IS A BORDER LAKE & THERE IS NOT A CLOSED SEASON ON RAINY ON THE AMERICAN SIDE, SAME GOES FOR THE CANADIAN LAKES, NO SEASON. YEP, 2 LICENSES, GOING BY WATER, YOU ALSO NEED A REMOTE BORDER WATER CROSSING PERMIT, 30 CANDIAN $ WHICH YOU CAN GET ON LINE, I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GET THE FISHING LICENSE ON LINE...BUT CAN'T REMEMBER...AND ALSO, I KNOW YOU STILL CAN'T GET INTO CANADA(WITHOUT GOING THRU A PROCESS) IF YOU HAVE A D.U.I.///D.W.I., WHICH BY THE WAY IS BEING LOOKED AT BY THE CANADIAN GOVERMENT.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Canada is pretty serious on the DUI stuff. We took a guy with us 2 years ago who had a DUI 15+ years earlier from his youth, wound up shipping him back home by bus. Not fun.

All these DUI horror stories have one thing in common: There's more skeletons in that closet than anyone will admit.

Quote:

Is there a way to get the Canadian License online?

I haven't done it myself but there is a number to call to get an Ontaio license. 1 800 667 1940 was the number they used.

Thanks for all the heads up on regs, spots, etc. Couple more questions. I read on one of the threads about an I-68 permit? In order for us to be properly documented, do we need anything else other than a RABC permit and a Canadian fishing license?

Secondly with respect to maps - I have a map of Southern Rainy Lake from Fishing Hot Spots. Are there any other maps you would recommend. This one is pretty good and we will get the northern section, but if there is a better one let me know.

Can't wait to get there. On our last trip in June of 05' we had a blast and caught several GREAT fish. 28" and 30" eye, 45" and 36" Northern, 4.25 smallie, and a huge Crappie among dozens of others. These were all primarily caught in or around Black Bay (smallie was in Saginaw). We didn't fish Canada at all. For the time of year we are coming (3 weeks earlier), what should our expectations be like on the Canadian side for sizes and numbers?

Since the island you are staying at is in Canada, and you want to target smallmouth, which are better in Canadian waters. I would recommend you cross the border at the bridge, launch your boat in Canada, and fish in Canada. This way all you need is a Canadian fishing license. If you go back and forth accross the border you technically need RABC, I-68, and both fishing licenses.

That would be fine except we are renting boats on the American side. The island we are staying at is only 5 miles from where we are getting the boats. What is the I-68 permit?

I suggest you talk to whoever you are renting the boats from and ask them about your situation, and/or whoever owns the island you are staying at. Otherwise you will have to get RABC's from Canadian customs, and an I-68 from US customs. These permits allow you to cross by water without checking in, although the US side still wants you to call in when ever you cross. Everybody in the group will need them. If I was in your situation, I think I would take your boats and go to the Goverment dock in Fort Frances, where you can go inside and call canadian customs to clear you, and then go to the island and stay on the Canadian side until you come out, at which time you can stop by the unattended customs checkpoint on the US side to clear US customs. With this approach, you will only need Canadian fishing licenses.