• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River or Lake?

Its been a few years since ive made the spring run to the Rainy, but i have to admitt we had some good years fishing there,and a buddy of mine has continued going up every spring but he prefers to fish the lake and not fight the crowds. We plan on bringing 2 rookies with us this year, my 10 year old and his 11 year old. I would like nothing more than 2 get these youngsters in on some action, every time we bring them fishing cools off!!! Wondering what you guys think would be a better choice for rookies, lake or river? Thank you for your time!!

When you planning on coming up? Fishing from boat or thru the ice? Some years you can't even get on or near the lake or even onto the bay by the close of the season in mid April due to ice and/or ice jams.

We plan on coming up April 5 6 7, just wondering if its worth fighting crowds on river, or go after em on the ice? Remember I want the best outcome for the boys to set the hook in a couple young fisherman.

Well once you get the boat in the water the crowds are tolerable as there is alot of river to fish. It's the wait at the launch site coming and going thats so maddening!

The gap and the bay put out numbers of fish and plenty of the BIG fish too as long as the ice and access holds up okay.

Why not bring the boat and the ice gear and maybe do both?

Do the kids want to ice fish or are they itching more to get into the boat. Hopefully by then Birchdale, Frontier and the Vidas access will all be useable and that will spread the boats out quite a bit too.

We have a hunting cabin south of Williams so we were planning on bringing up 4 wheelers so then we would leave the boat at home, if the ice fishing is still worth while. Then we could drive 1 rig. But if ice fishing is poor I would rather pull up the boat. If weather turns bad the boys can ride instead of freezing in a boat cause if your not a die hard like we are it can take the fun out of it in a hurry.

Sounds like you'll have to stay tuned and wait on what Mother Nature throws are way weatherwise before you finalize the big plan!!!

I am in the same boat as you are in so to speak. We have a hunting shack south of Williams also and I am hoping the ice will hold out for one last late season ice trip that weekend. Work and one big pain in the *&@ honeydo project won't free me up until then (except maybe late this Friday).

Fisky, your reports are driving me crazy down here. I am supposed to go to my cabin by Northome this weekend but the better half is baulking at that due to her kitchen remodel (or should I say my remodel). I might have the opportunity to drive up Friday night for Sat. and Sun. AM fishing and face the music Sunday night. Anyway, here's to hoping for cold weather for early April ice.

I have no doubt a person will be able to launch a boat somewhere upstream, if not all the way to the bay by the end of next week. On the other hand, I also think the lake ice will hold out for wheelers for at least another week. That being said, if you're coming up for more than one day, and you have to drive two vehicles, I would hook them both up. With as warm as it is, the ice can go from safe to dangerous in a day's time, then you would be kicking yourself for not bringing the boat. If you're specifically looking to drill holes, you better come this weekend. Fisky,iffwalleyes, and I will be out and about chasing gators and greenbacks Friday-Sunday, so if any of you will be up and want to wet a line with us or need some pointers, let us know.

mneyecatcher at yahoo (Contact Us Please)

fivebucks: i would give your wife some gift certificates to the fast food places, maybe some pizza and head north to fish. The kitchen can wait, as long as there's food to eat. Well, maybe not LOL confused.gif good luck either way and hang on. Bill

Better yet I'll leave her the check book and credit card and she can spend to her hearts delight (or the limit whichever comes first).

I guess the big over all question for me is what is in your personal opinion the most productive fishing, probably more numbers than size, late late ice, or river?? Any and all opinions would be welcome!!

Did I beat this one to death or doesn't anyone want to share with me on witch place GENERALLY produces better or more consistant, late ice or river???

No you didn't. It's almost 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

In my opinion you can't go wrong. You want to show the boys a good time and that is what's most important. I wouldn't make a final decision as of yet. Ice conditions could come into play at the times your looking at. Right now there's 40+ inches of good ice, but that can change. Some people don't like to be on the ice when your driving through water, and you don't want them to feel uncomfortable.

I've also fished the river when you can't feel your hands and the snot is flowing faster than the river. Here again, depending on the kid, not a real great "kid" experience.

I'd wait a little longer to see what Mother Nature brings us and then make your decision. I think either way, you will catch some fish and have a blast doing it.

Thank you all very much for your opinions, and as i watch these temperatures rise and continue to be above normal for the next week and a half we may have only 1 option left to think about any way!!! This web site is fun and Im glad people like you all take time and help out. Low is an amazing fishery and I feel fortunate to fish it a few times a year.