Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjf

South ARM fishing in late May?

7 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone's help we decided our first trip would be to the US side of rainy. Unfortunately I got a lot of great feedback stating some of the best smallie fishing would be on the North Arm. So is it back to the drawing board and finding a place on the North Arm or should I rest assured there are plenty of good smallies to be hammered in the south arm as well? Again thanks in advance, I can't wait to get up there!

You'll find some decent smallie fishing during the same time of year in the American portions of Rainy Lake, but it does not compare to the fishing on the North Arm. North Arm fish are consistantly larger and there seems to be alot more of them. If you still do decide to stay on the American Side look for updates from us on smallie fishing on the lake. The brule, olson bay, areas of cranberry bay, soldiers point, saginaw, and lost bay will be your more productive water.

I would still urge the Canadian Side of Rainy if you are looking to have a great time, but American waters as definately fishable as well. Plus as mentioned you can always fish the Rainy River too.

Thanks a ton, Canada it is, especially with no passport requirements.

HI JJF,

DON'T FORGET YOUR BORDER WATER CROSSING PERMIT IF GOING BY WATER.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey jjf:

I've been fishing Rainy my whole life and I am always confused about why people believe that fishing is soooo much better on the North Arm. To tell you the truth, both sides of the lake offer terrific smallmouth fishing. Most of the large fish that my clients and myself have ever caught came from the south arm. If you can do your homework and find a pattern the south arm can produce trophy fish in big numbers.

I'll tell you a secret, I've been spending alot mor time on the south arm since so many anglers are going north. I can't stand crowds. There are days where I don't see another boat. My clients love the fishing for walleye, pike, bass and crappy and I believe it's one of those, "the grass is alway greener" deals. Just fish Rainy Lake where ever you are and you won't be disappointed.

Jackfish

www.jackfishhammy.com

The south arm can be quite productive for smallies.You really need to pay attention,to the time of year and what the smallies are doing at that time.I have had some really good bass fishing on the south arm,without any crowds as most down there are after eye's.

www.fallsmotel.org

HEY JACKFISH,

GREAT POST, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, LEARN THE AREA & YOU WILL DO WELL WHERE EVER YOU FISH RAINY...SIMPLY PUT, ITS A AWESOME LAKE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER