Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCORE

Little Sand Lake

12 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what kind of fishing I should expect from Little Sand the week of 4th of July. I know this is not a prime time for fishing this time of year, but this is our first time up there and I am looking for any help..We would most likely be fishing for crappies/sunnies, with hopefully me sneaking out in the early morning/late evening for walleyes. thanks in advance.

Little Sand is an amazing lake overall. Over the 4th it would be pretty solid just wanna make sure the boating pressure isnt too high on the 4th of july. Little sand is a pretty decent walleye lake but where i have had my success is in ida, the lake connected under the bridge. Also you can get to big sand one of the premier walleye lakes in the state. Wherever you fish tho, you should be able to get a solid bite.

My mom's family has a cabin on this lake. I've fished it more than any other lake that I can think of.

Here's what I've noticed:

This lake has lots and lots of small(er) panfish (sunnies and bluegills). I've seen a total of maybe a half dozen crappies caught in this lake. The bass population (small and large) is pretty decent. I've seen two walleye caught on this lake in my entire life, but I see the DNR stock it every other year. There are many smaller northerns in this lake.

I've fished jigs, lindy rigs, Rapalas, bobbers, etc. All methods have produced fish. None have been huge.

It is a fun lake for the family as there are many fish to catch.

Hope that helps.

Here's a couple more thoughts on Little Sand since I see from another string that you are staying at Northern Star

1. The pizza place you'll pass just before the bridge between Ida and Little Sand (Zorbaz) has good pizza, a huge selection of tap beer, free popcorn, and it somewhat family friendly.

2. The bay that Northern Star is located in has been a pretty successful location for bass and northerns the past two years.

FYI: The bass in my avatar is a typical Little Sand bass.

Hope that helps.

We have been most successful for walleye fishing lindy rigs with either crawlers or leeches in 16'20 feet off the reed line. Have caught a few decent smallies with lindys as well. best of luck to ya

I'm staying at Northern Star and fishing this lake for the first time in May. I've heard mixed reports of whether Big Sand can be reached by boat from there. It looked like I could get under the bridge to Ida if I take my windshield down.

If the water is not way up then you shouldnt have too many problems getting into Ida or Big Sand if you dont have a huge boat. You will have to raise you props going into Big Sand but hopefully its not an issue for ya. We do a lot of fishing in Big Sand and really enjoy the lake.

I have had luck on white tubes for smallies. Fun lake.

Anyone know where crappies are up there around the 4th of July?

on the weed line, typically i think little sands edge is around 17' please correct me if i am wrong about depth i dont fish little sand often. Jonah

17 sounds about right but can be deeper as well. Little Sand is an extremely clear lake with water clarity of over 15 ft! I've never fished for crappie much on the lake but have had a few buddies hook into some nice ones on the outer edge and into pockets of reeds.

Score, I have a lake place on Little Sand just three lots away from Northern Star resort. You will find pretty good action, fishing for sunfish, however the size will not be to big. The crappie fishing is pretty tough but if you happen to find them they are generally pretty big. The lake is very clear so fishing for walleyes is generally done in the early morning or late evening and night. At this time of the year I generally troll shad raps or pull live bait rigs with a leech around 20-23 feet deep for walleyes. Let me know if you need anymore advice, I would be glad to try and help. I will also be up there for the week of the fourth, look for the white Ranger on the lake I generally have a few cold ones in the cooler.