Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobT

Knots?

10 posts in this topic

I was surfing various fishing knots on the net and began to think it would be interesting in hearing opinions about knots.

Over the years I have primarily used the improved clinch knot for tying my lures, etc. to my line. For most situations that has worked out just fine but I’m not so sure anymore. I don’t have a break off too often but when it does happen I have noticed that it seems to be breaking inside the hook eye and not breaking ahead of the knot. My theory is that the line is being stretched around the metal of the hook eye under the stress of the fight and eventually it gives.

I have used TrileneXL almost exclusively because I find it works well. This year I will be experimenting with Berkeley Fireline for the first time and by the feel of the line I’m not sure the clinch knot will be a good choice.

The polymer knot appears interesting. Is this a good quality knot? What do you all use for various lines and conditions?

Bob

I can't speak for Fireline, but I can guarantee you with Power Pro, the palomar knot cannot be beat. Superlines are slippery and the palomar is the only knot I have tried that will not slip. I would assume this will apply to Fireline, as well.

Before someone chimes in and says, "Power Pro has a flyer in it that states that the Uni knot is the strongest," I would like to say that I have done experiments--stick with a palomar.

I have had very good luck with the polymer knot. Also very easy to tie.

I use the palomar for braids (and would use it for Fireline too) Double uni is a good knot too for joining lines. They're both good. Improved clinch won't work with braid.

Have just go with what the manufactorer puts on the little paper in the package. I spool my own and buy the little spools with enough for each rod. I used to use Trilene XL on my summer rods, and they actually have a trilene knot that i have used and like. I have switched to fireline and i saw that they recomended the palomar knot. I have yet to try fireline on my ice rods, maybe next year. If my hands are freezing, i will also use the palomar knot on the mono, works alright for me.

I use a combination of Palomar and Improved clinch/triline. I feel each has its streanghs and weaknesses.

The palomar is easyer to tie in my opinion, so I use it when possible. I do not like it for big lures as they can be difficult get through the loop. Also it is not feasable in certin cercumstances. For example a lindy type set-up, weight, swivel, leader and then hook. It is not possible to tie the leader to the swivel with a Palomar because you connot get that end of the line through the loop [technically you could tie a clip the leader first with a palomar but it takes more time].

The triline knot is good for large baits and when the palomar is not an option.

I would say tha the palomar is much better for heavy braided line as well.

I haven't been able to tell if one is stronger than the other so I just go with whatever is fastest. The longer your line is in the water the more fish you catch wink.gif

The only other knot I use is the blood knot for tying line togeather directly.

I too had line breaking inside the eye until I dubbled the loop inside the eye. Then if you leave the second loop loose and hold it with your thumb or finger tie the line as normal, but bring the line threw the loose loop and back toward the rod end. You will notice tighting the line is much easier and it is stronger the standard knot.

I can't put up a link here. There is a great site

that shows an animated knot demonstration. If the powers-

that- be say its okay, maybe a link could be put up

by them. Until then, do a search on animated knots

and see what comes up. The site I'm thinking of, would

be a great reference for all those "novice" tyers

out there. It has added a couple new knots to my

lines. Enjoy... And moderators, post a link if you think

its all right. This site covers everything Knotty in

nature!!

I vote for the Palomar. It is so easy to tie and I never have problems with it.

If your using rapalas alot learn the knot they recommend using. most freedom of action in a rap and it dosent slip at all even on the superlines.