• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

5-th wheel hitch on truck

efgh

Question

I am thinking of purchasing a 5-th wheel camper, I have a bumper hitch one now. What kind of a hitch in the truck box do you 5-th wheel pullers use? Which in your opinion is the best? There is one that has two rails that are mounted on top of the pickup bed with plates that connect to the frame, the rails stay in the bed, the 5-th wheel hitch is pinned to the rails. Another one has a frame mount with a ball in the center that sticks up thru the bed floor and the 5-th wheel bracket mounts too the ball. the ball is turned over when not in use.It seems to me two pulling points are better than one.

7 answers to this question

The first kind is what you need, email me about it.

Also the second type is called Gooseneck style, and the adapter to 5th wheel is an extra part you install onto your trailer, you cannot separate it from trailer.

Cost is between $ 350.00/up for 5th wheel hitch and/or gooseneck hitch, and $ 300.00 for the adapter.

I would recommend the one with the rails in the bed.

I have a hitch in my truck called a B&W Turnover Ball Hitch. It attaches to the frame under the bed and has a ball socket through the bed. The ball is held in the socket by a pin and when you aren't using the ball you pull the pin and turn the ball over, drop it back into the socket and re-pin it leaving a flat bed surface. My fifth wheel hitch is a B&W Companion Hitch which replaces the ball in the socket and is held in by the pin and a bolt which is torqued to 40 foot lbs. The hitch head is mounted on rubber and tilts front to back and side to side. The turnover ball hitch is a 30,000 lb hitch and the companion hitch is a 16,000 lb fifth wheel hitch. To remove the fifth wheel hitch you loosen the bolt, pull the pin and lift the hitch out of the ball socket. I have pulled fifth wheel campers on the ball with a gooseneck adapter like Valv described. The fifth wheel camper that I have now is new and it would void the warranty on the frame to use a goose neck adapter as it puts excess pressure on the camper hitch according to the frame manufacturer. The Companion hitch is very easy to work with when hooking the fifth wheel up to it. I would recommend this hitch highly to anyone. There are no rails left in the bed when the hitch is off of the truck.

B&W hitches are the best of all, I have the turnover gooseneck ball too and it works slick, it is known to be the best hitch ever.

the companion 5th wheel is great too but a little spendy for my taste, since I was pulling the camper maybe once a year.

Valv, I pulled my last camper for with a goose neck adaptor with no problems. That camper didn't have slideouts and was built on the 12" superslide frame. The new one has two slides and is on an 8" frame. It seems to be the thing now for the frame manufacturers to just void the warranty rather than take any liability for their product. The manufacturer of my frame said that if I have a hitch attached to the frame and I pull something that weighs over 150 lbs behind it, it will void the warranty. Even with a bicycle rack, it can't have over 150 lbs in bicycles on it. It also voids the warranty to use any type of adapter. They say that these people make the frames for 80% of campers pruduced in the US.

I already have the turnover ball and the Companion hitch. I think Valv was talking about them and a gooseneck adapter which I decided not to use anymore. Thanks. wink.gif

Yes I meant the adapter, I am not recommending it unless it's the type ColdOneSD has.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.