Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random guy

Crappies are moving

7 posts in this topic

We are starting to see the crappie activity increase. The fish are not jumping out of the holes and into a bucket but they are snapping for the anglers that are willing to drill some holes. It would appar as if we have many small schools traveling around and getting in front of them is the trick. Drill and move until you get bit then try to stay above them in your pre-drilled line of holes. Follow them to the end until they dissappear then start checking holes for the next group. It is a Crappie enduro, lots of running around but fun...more like hunting/stalking then fishing. Once you get tired and the sun goes down head back tom the shack and set up for the night bite that has been occuring from 8pm-2am. Hole hopping in the dark does not appear to produce the same bite as the daytime, night biters appear to stall in a smaller area during darkness.

Thinking about making a day trip this Saturday, my first and only this year. Any fish showing up near the "highway" or are they scattered across the sea of ice smile.gif.

JON,

Is an auger extension needed?

Do you want water to come up the hole?

tdb I was up there this morning and we needed at 12 inch on the main sheet of ice. We also fished near a heave and we needeed an 18 and a 12 inch to get through. I would save the trouble and put it on before you leave home.

tdb

Did not mean to be a smart (Contact Us Please)-(yes I did) but any time you fish north of Bemidji starting in Feb. you will need an extension, 9 out of ten years. Sorry if I offended you, the important thing is to have a blast while you are up! there.

I put the extensions on New years day and take them off in November for first ice.