• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fireline Crystal

Fish Head

It's that time of year when many of us are re-spooling and getting ready for the open water. I have a couple of rods that I have been using power-pro. My own personal preference has been that I like power pro better than Fireline, however now that Fireline has come out with a CLEAR line, I'm thinking of trying it. Anyone have any experience with it or any thoughts?

I have used the black fireline for a couple years. If I hook a rock with a jig, I can pull as hard as I want to straighten the hook using the ten pound test. If the jig is wedged, I cut the line because it's that hard to break. I like the way it casts too. With mono, I would always get loops that would turn into tangles.

I have always wondered if the dark color made walleyes not bite and have used clear leaders. I think I will have to try the clear fireline this year.

So far, thumbs up. I put on 14lb crystal and went down to the river to test it out. No complaints. One thing I noticed is its really more white than clear (like mono).

I would have to agree with beatuplund on the more white then clear. I have been using it all year for ice fishing and it seems to be great. Caught lots of eyes using it.

Thanks for the feedback. So it's more white than clear like mono. I'll assume it's still less visible underwater than traditional braided lines like power pro and fireline? No problems with strength, memory or fraying?

My own course of action with lines is to keep using mono in spinning reels because with snarls (for lack of a better term) I often need to add more line to replace line I had to cut off and throw away. With bait casters, I use the braids because snarls are not an issue for me.

[Admin: Please read forum polciy before posting again. Thank You]

Questor brings up a good point. I use Mono on all my spinning reels too. I usually put a braid on a couple of baitcasters for fishing bass in the weeds, maybe some trolling spinners, etc..

I used that crystal stuff in 10 and 14 pound all of last summer on my flatlining and snap weight set-ups and I like it. Can't say if it catches any more fish than the smoke I'd used seasons prior but I'm gonna keep using it. With the LOTW being as stained as it is it probably does'nt make much difference. Same great qualities as original fireline, good stuff. Once it 'broke in' there's no memory, the stuff probably tests at double it's rated strength, and the fray factor is about the same as the other braid I use, Power Pro. Lot's of Pikes in the LOTW and I run Fireline on these Walleye trolling set-ups because I think it is a bit better in it's bite off resistance compared to Power Pro. I can't stand braids on spinning reels 99.9% of the time either!

fiskyknut

I use braids on all of my rods, casting & spinning, year round. Mostly Power Pro.

I used 4# Crystal on my ice fishing rods this winter and it worked great! laugh.gif

I plan to try 8# crystal on a couple of my rods this summer.

I expect it to preform well.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Mono backing will depend upon how large of a reel you are using.

On spinning reels you may want to fill the spool to around 1/2 full with mono and then tie on the braid with a uni-knot to get the reel filled to the right depth.

The same with some baitcasters too.

By adding the mono backing will only need to use around 1/2 spool of braid on each reel. 75 yards of braid on a reel is usually plenty of line unless you plan to do some long-line trolling.

I usually use only the braid on both spinning and baitcasters. Just remember to tape the braid knot to the spool with a small piece of masking tape or electrical tape before winding the line onto your reels.

Cliff

The nice thing I have found with the braids, the line is less likely to twist up, like monolines do. It never fails you try to cast, then you get this mass of twisted line shooting out the guides.

I use fireline on all rods, 50-60 yards is good. I have never long lined with more than 130ft of line out. To get deeper I use the snap weights.

I just bought my first spool of Crystal Fireline and think it looks just like the "normal stuff" just white...I haven't yet got to use it, so I can't report on that.

But for the question asked about backing:

Mono backing works fine, but I just wrap a little black tape on my reel first, then tie the Fireline directly to the reel. This will eliminate the line spinning on the reel, it works well on both baitcasters and spinning reels. Just thought ya'll might want to try this instead of using Mono?

if you do 2-3 overhand knots around the entire spool in the opposite direction that the line reels in (after the intial tiedown), that works well also for keeping the braid from spinning.

Here's a photo that might help describe the transucency of Fireline Crystal:

Crystal_20_ft.jpg

This photo was taken 20 feet underwater and compares Crystal to PowerPro (but you could compare it to any other braid and they would look just about the same).

The tagline is, "If it were any clearer, it would be mono."

What's cool is that it goes all the way down to 1# test, which is equivalent to 1/4# mono, and breaks above 4 pounds.

Sizes include: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 14, 20, and now 30# (just released but not yet in stores).

I would agree that you still need backing, but I only add it to my reels with larger arbors. If I'm going to fish for panfish I don't worry about them pulling hard enough to make the line spin on the arbor.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. I'm glad so many of you like it. I sure do too.

? That pic is too small... do you have a link for a much larger one? I don't understand what I am seeing here.

Quote:

I would agree that you still need backing, but I only add it to my reels with larger arbors. If I'm going to fish for panfish I don't worry about them pulling hard enough to make the line spin on the arbor.

What if a big pike, bass, or walleye decides to try out your offering? shocked.gif

I've fought some large fish without backing, but never have had the chance to pick on a pike yet. It's better to be safe than sorry, so add the backing if you think you'll be getting into some of the larger fish.

If you don't... at least you'll have a good fish tale.

As far as pictures go, I don't have a larger image, but I have a few others at different depths that may help you understand what you're seeing:

Crystal_surface.jpg

Surface

Crystal_30_ft.jpg

30 feet

Crystal_40_ft.jpg

40 feet

Catcherman - did you take these pictures? Eitherway, thanks for sharing.

No I did not take them. They were taken by someone in Spirit Lake, I think it was on Spirit Lake actually.

I work for Berkley. Check my profile.

Catherman is one of the Regional sales managers for Minnesota for Pure fishing which markets and sells the Fireline Crystal..

Great to have you with us Catcherman, thanks for helping us answer questions!

Deitz

PS-was nice to meet you at the sportshow the other day!

Thanks for the welcome Deitz. I sure was nice to finally meet you.

Catcherman - do you think it will come out in the larger tests like 50# and 60# etc. So it can be used in flippin' applications.

Thanks,

You sure you couldn't use 30# with the strenght that line has. It is icredibly strong IMHO.

I was on the fence on the Fireline Crystal but after seeing the pics I think I need some of that line. Thanks for the pics!

I honestly have no idea what we have planned. We've never made FireLine in more than 30#, so I doubt it, but if you asked me a year and a half ago if I thought there would ever be a translucent braid I would have laughed in your face. Well, probably not in your face, but I would have laughed. I try not to be that rude. LOL

i was wondering about it's application as leader material instead of a steel leader..i've found regular fireline and other superlines much more difficult to cut...so in theory they could be a great substitute for steel leader material.any comments??

I have tried it as a replacement and it seems to work as well if not better than the steel. Reason behind this, it moves. Unlike the steel which cant bend or twist, fireline allows the lure to do what it was intended to do. Very hard to fray or snap that stuff.

It is a good line, but I warn against using it as a pike or muskie leader. Although its tough to cut with a nail clippers, pike can still cut it quite easy. Not as easy as mono, but they can still chop it up!