• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Broadheads...

cupper

Hey folks. I was just wondering what kind of broadheads you would reccomend to a newbie like myself. This season will be my first archery season. I got my bow las Nov and have been practicing with it since. There are so many choices for broadheads and I was just wondering what all of you think. I am leaning towards fixed-blade because I have heard some horror stories about mechanicals not opening up, but I also heard Jeff at Cabin Fever saying that the new Rage mechanical broadheads were so popular last year that they couldn't keep them in stock. I have one buddy who uses thunderheads and one who uses crossfires. Looking forward to your input.

Thanks!

I recently switched to G5 montec broadheads from Thunderheads. I really liked the design, and had heard good things about flight characteristics. With my old thunderheads, I always had to readjust my sights since they flew lower and to the right out of my set-up. The montecs were right on target as my field tips.

I prefer the instant cutting tips too. The profile of the head is much smaller than the thunderheads which I like too.

Lots of good blades out there so you will need to decide on what you feel will work best, then shoot it and see how well it performs.

Steve

I am rather new to the sport as well....but I have had good luck with 100 grain Slick Tricks and 100 grain G5 Strikers. Both BHs have been super sharp out of the box, hold their edge well and fly the same as FPs (at least for me). I have a cousin that used the two blade RAGE BH last season and he said it worked great...brought down a nice buck..etc. I have also used 3 blade Muzzy (100 grain) in the past and they also worked well. I tried the the 4 blade Muzzy MX-4 last season and ended up throwing them away..they just didnt fly worth a darn for my set-up....but I have heard others say good things. I am also interested in trying the new Muzzy MX-3s. Good luck in your search.

Cliffy.

If your bow is well tuned most broadheads will work well for you. I say most because sometimes a certain broadhead just will not fly well for a certain setup.

Make sure you paper tune your bow. If you can get your arrows to fly "straight" through the paper you should be alright.

There are a whole bunch of good high quality broadheads out there. I wouldn't necessarily go with the first broadhead some salesman says sold out last year. Every year something new comes out and it winds up being a hot seller because it's new. If you can try out a few different broadheads and see what works well for you. This can be a bit expensive though.

Our best seller last year was the G5 broadhead. We sold them probably 2 to 1 over everything else we carried. Muzzy has a great reputation but I have heard several people say they just won't shoot well for them. I myself tried the Wasp Boss Bullet and the Wasp Hammer. The Hammer was pretty good but the Boss Bullet flew exactly to the same point of impact as my field points so thats what I shot during the season. If you are thinking of shooting expandable broadheads you may want to figure out how much kinetic energy you are getting because that is important in opening the blades.

Anyway, try out a few if you can, do some more internet research(broadhead testing sites,forums,ect), and by all means ask your fellow hunters. I'd ask hunters mostly because we all started where you are now. Salesmen are in it for sales and may not always have your best interest at the top of their list. I see this everyday as I'm in the business so to speak. There are a lot of guys that will push stuff without having even tried it and that is one of the things I dislike about working is sporting goods sales.

I am also back into the game after a little time off as far as bow hunting goes. If anybody would be willing to get together and shoot some different broadheads we should work something out. Everbody brings a different broadhead and we can exchange to see how they shoot.

Would save some on buying multiple heads and still do some field testing.

Last year was my first year bowhunting and I went with the three-blade rages and won't switch for nothing, simply love them. Practiced with the MX-4's and they didn't fly very well. I brought down two doe's and they literally blew a hole right through them. I highly recomend you give them a try at least, I say thier worth the money!

I am new bowhunter and currently a Muzzy guy. The MX-4 100's flew great out of my Switchback XT last year. I'll be honest in that I didn't shoot anything other than the MX4's. They were recommended by Cabin Fever and they shot just like my field points. I harvested my first archery deer with the MX-4s. I may experiment a little this summer but I'll be surprised if I find anything that works better in my set-up than what I have been using.

Find one you like and tune it to your setup. hit the deer in the vitals and they all work. grin.gif

eyeguy is right. Shot placement is everything. Just for the record, a lot of deer have found the way to my freezer from 100 grain 4 blade muzzys. If I do my job, they do theirs.

Wow, Cliffy, you mentioned all of the broadheads that I have looked at. I think that the G5 Strikers and the Slick tricks are the best fixed blade broadheads that I've seen, but I might go with the 2 or 3 blade Rages. The owner of Mike's archery in St. Cloud shot a black bear with one of the 2 blade Rage broadheads and had a pass through, and the hole was huge!

Well, that's my 2 cents.

muzzy 3 blade 100's worked great for me and Montec G5 worked great for me. was not impressed with MX4s which i pawned off and the guy that bought them from me threw them away. shuttle t points didnt shoot well for me and neither did the american broadhead company heads including the sonic and liberty. slick tricks shot the best but montecs are easy to resharpen thats why i went with them

I shoot Slick Tricks, and they fly great. The only broadhead that I didn't have to move my sights do to the different flight pattern between my field tips and broadheads. But like it was said before any broadhead will work as long as you do your job and put right through the wheel house.

I think we're fortuanate to have lots of good broadheads to choose from. Find one that shoots good out of your bow and as others have mentioned, SHOT PLACEMENT is the key.

I personally like a replaceable blade broad head so they can be razor sharp, if I miss and hit the ground, I put in new blades. And the ones that I practice with are old blades.

Just for the record, I shoot Thunderheads. They work and I'm not going to spend a couple hundred bucks trying different broadheads when I have a good one already.

I am new to the sport of bowhunting. My father has an older bow and everything needed, so i decided to pick up his bow and start shooting it last summer. we are about the same draw length, so i just put a new sight on and got comfortable with how it shoots and i knew my boundaries. This year for christmas my brother in law gave me a dozen new cabela's carbon arrows and some 3-blade 100 grain muzzys, i have heard a lot of good reports about them. I also personally know the man who designed the new Rage broadheads, and if i would switch, they would be the first ones i would try.