• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Okuma or G. Loomis reel?

Katman

I can't decide which reel to get. I've seen both. Have done tons of search on reviews for both reels. Now I want your opinion. The Okuma Helio or the G. Loomis Venture 5. There is a bit more reviews for the Venture over the helios but from what I've seen, they're both solid reels. But for the price of the Helio, I can get a Venture5 with an extra spool. What were your thoughts and reason for your final decision? Any help will do. I've been reviewing both reels for 3 days now...I just can't decide! HELP! The season is going to start without me! grin.gif

it would help if you said what species you would be targeting, the size of the reel, and what features you were looking for. Also, why are you only considering those reels? Did you pick them out from among other brands?

The okuma reels are usually value priced and a good deal for the money. The large arbor helios will be nice for quicker retrieves and less line memory. For what you get out of the venture, I don't think it's necessarily worth the price.

If I had to choose between the two reels mentioned, I would pick the Helios. If I could pick any reel I wanted, I'd probably pick another brand.

I think the Venture is a great reel when considering its price point, and a very decent reel without considering it. I've got one I use with an 8 wt rod on the North Shore for steelies and loopers and it has performed flawlessly. Smooth reel with a low start-up initertia, decent finish, and overall good quality..what more could you ask for?

I'd say get the Venture and the 2nd spool. Take a Gander at a local outdoors sports store south of the cities area, where I've seen the reels on sale for $70 bucks as recently as last week. Now that's a price you really can't beat!

the loomis reel is a very nice reel. a couple of my friends use only that reel (in several models). I have a venture 5 that I may be willing to sell. I bought it for my wife about a year ago. its probably only been used 1-3 times. she wants a prettier reel so my hands are kinda tied if you know what i mean. great reel w/ a really smooth drag. however, i know nothing of the other reel

I second Deadhead's question. Have you looked at other reels and now these are your final 2 choices? I would look at the Pflueger reels also if you are toying with other options. But we would need to know a bit more about what you are targeting to give you some better answers.

I have used okuma and loomis reels and would have to say that the loomis i had did last longer, but both reels were pretty similar in performance. I would also consider spending a little more money if this is a reel you plan on using for larger fish such as pike, steelhead, or salmon. I would also look into brands such as bauer, lamson/waterworks, or even temple fork (they have some nice reels for a good price). Good luck and let us know what you find.

I was looking for a reel that was low in weight, larger arbor with a decent drag, and of course...a bit of my own eye appeal. This will be a lighter 5 weight for trout and maybe some light steelies. I have looked at other reels such as the pfluegers, martins, bauers, etc. I found these were used by many people with great results. Plus along the price range of 150 and under. Most reels were coated with total weight of 5.4 - 6.x oz. These two were 5.2 and under. The Venture came out a bit lighter with a 4.8. Then came the bearing used in each reels. I didn't want thrust or roller clutch bearings...but rather full ball bearings. The sealed or stainless steel drag components were a plus. There were some close contenders but they materials, style, drag, and user reviews were great for these 2. I based my reels so far on internet/people reviews and brand materials used. I have not even casted the reels yet. Most bauers and waterworks reels were very very nice...but was a bit more then what I wanted to spend on a reel. So I thought these two were a good choice. The Venture 5 was very great in quaily, price (both reel and spools), and style. The weight was pretty low with no major fault reviews. The helio was a bit more (160 range) but it was with cause. Full aluminum frame with quality ballbearing used. Full sealed drag that was rated great for light saltwater applications. It was just a tad bit heavier but was manageable. I have seen and played with both reels but have not casted both. I hope to before I purchase. I just wanted more user feedback from us guys who share a common interest! grin.gif Feel free to throw in some of your personal favorites. I will consider them and actually go take a look. I just don't want to spend a rent payment on a reel! wink.gif Thanks for the help...and keep them coming! I plan to hopefully pick one up by no later the april 1st! Cause I don't want to miss the steelie run! grin.gif

I used to use brands such as pfleuger and okuma and other brands that costed a little less, but the type of fishing and abuse I put them through was causing me to wear them out. I found myself buying a new reel each spring so I decided to buy a Bauer M4 superlight. It costed a little more but I couldn't be happier with the performance and knowing that it is warrantied and will last many years. I also love that the drag is found on the same side as you reel which is much more convenient for those mid-fight adjustments. Basically when buying a reel for large fish you get what you pay for.

You say that this reel is for a 5 wt, I would not be quite as concerned as if you were shopping for your 7 wt or larger. You should be happy with any of those reels you mentioned. You are one brave guy to go after steelies with a 5 wt. shocked.gif

Thank you for the thoughts Quick! What you said is true! I'm not too worried about this 5 wt. I just didn't want to go too cheap on quality. But you are right about the durability and distance these reels can go. I'm not rough on my gear, but I do believe in you get what you pay for. I'm hoping for this reel to last me atleast 2 seasons. Maybe someday when I'm not a unlucky noobie anymore....I'd feel better about going out in a 700 dollar outfit! I don't want to be seen in such pro gear.....pulling flies out of the trees the whole time! frown.gif And the 5wt for steelies was just to see how it feels...it maybe more stupid then brave......but I do have my 7/8wt for them! Thanks for the input! It was greatly appreciated!

Wow I think QS exactly nailed what I would have said. A Bauer JM 1 retails for 200, made in USA with a good drag and a lifetime warranty. I know it's more $$$ but why not get a reel for the next 20 years?

I also HAD a Venture 7, replaced by Bauer JM 3. I have become a big Bauer fan in the last couple years.

Enjoy whatever you go with!

Mike

my all time favorite reels are the danielsson reels (origional loop designer). the drag on these things are very adjustable and the reels themselves are very light (4.5 oz for a 5-8 weight model). they start at just over 200 though so they are a little north of what you are looking for. something to look at though.

Hmm...the JM1s got me thinking. 185 over 160 for the helios....with a lifetime warranty. Sounds pretty darn good! I love the no click thing. And the weight was 4.8oz. What more can I say? Do they have it in a silver finish? Oh no....more choices now?! confused.gif

The JM series is only available in black. The Bauer Super Light series if available in many colors plus "splash" colors. A M1SL weights 4.1 oz holds 60yds of 20lb backing and retails for 265. I have one that I bought used and like it a lot. VERY smooooooooth drag.

if you are in that 160-185 price range, I'd seriously consider the Cimarron Large Arbor (CLA) reel from Ross. Probably one of better deals out there; high quality USA craftsmanship and at $175 it's not breaking the bank (compared to other reels of similar quality). These are some high quality reels. If I ever needed a 4-6 wt reel with a good drag system, I'd probably pick this reel up. Otherwise I'd buy the $39 Ross Flystart for stream trout.

Bauers are excellent reels, no doubt about that, but you might be able to get more value out of the Ross for a lower price.

I just took a look...and I like! The weight was perfect! The maintenance free drag, and the aluminum body. I hope gander or cabelas has them on show! I want to see them this weekend! Great reel Dead!

I know there are a bunch of ross reels at the rogers store, not sure if they had the CLA in stock or not, give them a call first. I know they had the flycast and flystart models in stock.

Be sure to check out your local fly shop as well, they always have a good selection of high quality reels and can always use your business.

The Fly Angler in Fridley (aka Thorne Bros) are a Ross dealer and carry the CLA.

I'd also check out the other Ross dealers in the metro, Bob Mitchell's and Bentleys. Andy over at Bentleys is always a pleasure to chat with and has plenty of good advice as well.

At any of those stores, the staff are much more knowledgable than at cabelas or gander, and actually know what they are talking about...

katman if you go to the great waters fly fishing expo next weekend, I would bet that you might be able to get some good deals on gear. I'd window shop this weekend, and then check out the deals next weekend....

Thats a great idea! I totally forgot about the expo. I remember seeing something about it on Bob's fly shop bulletin. Thats payday friday too! I think thats the best bet. Thanks for the $ saving info Dead! grin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update. I ended up with a Ross CLA reel. I couldn't help but spend a little more for an unconditional lifetime warranty. The reel is super smooth! I picked up a $20 off anything over 100 at the Fly Expo from Cabelas so I got it from there. I have 1 more coupon for $20 off 100+ if anyone wanted it? Its good till April 31st. Just let me know. Thank you guys for all your knowledge and great help! grin.gif

Quote:

Its good till
April 31
grin.gif

Sorry to have a little fun at your expense, but do you remember the little ditty that goes "Thirty days hath..."? Don't feel too bad. Trout Unlimited printed massive numbers of calendars this year that featured a 31 day February. smile.gif

hahahha. I didn't even realize that. Let me double check. I'm sure it was expired at the end of the month. grin.gif