Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Snake River  King

Mississippi river??? Brainerd???

Snake River  King

Hello well I posted the other Mississippi post about what its like around Aikin but Me and the guys decided to go around By Brainerd instead! enyways Whats the fishing like around Brainerd on the Mississippi? Is there alot of Islands? Eny good Walleye holes enyone wants to share? or enything would be helpful thanks grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

smartguy

South of the dam, the river is really shallow in several places, even with the spring run off. Your best bet for walleyes is to fish right under the dam, as there is a 25 foot hole where the walleyes love to stack up. If you boat there, there is a public access about 1/2 a mile south of the dam near the cemetery. Just stay close to the east bank and expect to fight some current to get to the dam.

North of the dam, a lot of people fish under the County Road 3 bridge, as there is a river bend there. (Just make sure to bring bug repellent). The river is much deeper north of the dam, so I would think that almost any river bend would have a chance of walleye. For this part of the river, use the Rice Lake/Lum Park access.

God luck

Meat-Run

The better walleye bite and quantity will be above the d a m and safer to navigate your boat if you use the Luma Park access. Below the d a m it's so shallow that you WILL take out your prop and or break something. The water is lower now then I have ever seen it becuase this time of the year it's up at least 3 feet or more and even with this rain I don't think it will help.

Good luck

mr

Snake River  King

Were is this dam you guys are talking about I am not familiar with that area? We are going to stay just north of Brainerd and head north, will be fine right? confused.gif thanks grin.gif

smartguy

Snake,

If you click on the link, you will see a topo map of Brainerd. When you locate the word 'brainerd", look for a major road that goes traight north from the "r" in "Brainerd". This is where state Highway 25 ends and County Road 3 begins. As you take this road through town, you will eventually pass Wasau paper mill on the left. As you keep going, you will go over the County Road 3 bridge - on the right is Rice Lake, and on the left is the dam.

The Lum Park access is on Rice Lak, though you have to take Hwy 210 to get there.

Based on what you have stated, it sounds like you will be fishing upstream of the dam, so you should be okay . .

Here is the map: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/tomo.html?col=71&row=115&layer=100k&size=3

DancesWithWaves

There can be some solid fishing north of the dam. Rice lake is a solid panfish lake but I wouldnt suggest it for much else. Something i would suggest is below the dam, but not by boat. This past summer, when the water was extremely low, I would walk along the shorelines and fish using topwater lures for pig smallies. Just fishing in the summer i caught two 20"ers and a bunch of other decent ones. Just something to consider.

Snake River  King

Thanks for your help guys, I pretty sure I know where the dam is now. So it sounds like I should fish the dam.