Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott K

The end is near!

11 posts in this topic

Its been a good year on hard water, but its going to be ending very soon! With the 10 day forcast as it is, my boat will be coming out of storage this weekend. Time to check it over, and get it ready for pushing ice chunks around the lake. I cant wait! Im guessing in 2 weeks I will be on the water in my boat. Look out crappies! Here I come!!

I brought the boat home last week and am already getting it ready. By the end of the week I will maybe be on the river for some eye action. smile.gif Catfish are not far behind.

Yes Indeed, trying to patiently wait the melt, although this is a great time to go out and prepare for the upcoming soft water. Get organized, if there is any such thing. Keep checking regional posts on FM for the upcoming trips, oh I dont know if I can hold out much longer, might have to do the river thing this spring. Anyone interested? Usually have room for one or two as I tend to fish alone alot. Also has anyone been down to Red Wing from this area yet, curious as to what your thoughts were? Too early? This is also that time to start stocking up on the tackle. Come May 3rd im off to Iowa, lol never thought I would actually tell people that I am going to Iowa to go fishing but oh well it's their opener, that way I get to hit up two openers back to back, Come on Sun and warmth

It's never to early for Red Wing. With the high water, the pitching bite to timber and rip-rap should be taking off.

Does anyone know any streams and shoreline to fish early from shore for those early crappies? Any info would be appreciated..

Past years I have seen guys fishing the stream just outside of Morristown, just off Hwy 60. Have been told the crappies run in the spring there but never fished it myself.

I agree with the end of the year but am going to try to get out once or twice more. With that said, I am already changing oil, mounting a new sonar/gps, and dusting off the downriggers for a trip to Millwaukee for some diving and maybe a little coho fishing, if the weather cooperates. I am just not looking to filling up the boat at $2.42 a gallon for gas and $2.60 a gallon for diesel.

Quote:

Come May 3rd im off to Iowa, lol never thought I would actually tell people that I am going to Iowa to go fishing

IOWA! who fishes in IOWA? should be great time. I am looking forward to it.

Quote:

Quote:

Come May 3rd im off to Iowa, lol never thought I would actually tell people that I am going to Iowa to go fishing

IOWA! who fishes in IOWA? should be great time. I am looking forward to it.

I really never appreciated Iowa fishing until I moved up here (after living in Iowa for 20 years). Don't get me wrong, Minnesota is a fisherman's paradise, but the pannies are just plain bigger down there. I also sort of miss the catfishing, which can be phenomenal...

There are some great perch bites going on right now. I love crappie fishing but a golden perch fillet in the frying pan just sounds better.

If you looking for cats, you may want to look on the river over by Mankato. I know guys that pull monsters over there every year but they are tight liped about where.