Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troutman

Tonka Ice

22 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how the ice is on Tonka?Will it hold up for the coming weekend?Any bites going on there?

Was about 22" thick on Sat. The issue is what will the accesses look like. My guess is 4 wheeler at best, walking out most likely by the weekend. Quite a few people in Seaton and Blacks area. Panfish are going pretty good.

Thanks Mark.

Gonna head that way Saturday...hip boots in tow for one last hurrah on the ice.Might swing down and hit Christmas too before I head home.

access is a little sloppy but as u get a little further out the ice is still very thick. was on wayzata bay on fri nite and the bite was pretty good if u move around. had to sort through them to keep a meal.

Thanks.

They're talking warm temps starting tomorrow but,that much ice should still be good for awhile.An ice update later in the week would be much appreciated.

It wouldn't be the 1st time that I drove the 60 miles to Tonka,only to find that I could no longer get out. frown.gif

Okay boys.Do I go to work tomorrow (yuk!) or can I get on the ice?...with hip boots?

I know this isn't Minnetonka but I work in Golden Valley on Lake Sweeney and the ice on the north shore has receeded 10-20yds. (And even further in some spots). The rest of the ice is black and doesn't look good!! mad.gifmad.gif Good luck, I hope you can get out. I'm itchin' for open water!!

It's done...........son grin.gif Bring on open water!!

Thanks guys.

Have decided to NOT go to work tomorrow.I have to work on Sunday and I have to go to Chicago next weekend so,I AM going fishing tomorrow.The question is where? confused.gif If I don't hear a positive local report by tomorrow morning,I'm heading north until I can get out somewhere.I'm hoping at least by North/South Center

I was out on Medicine yesterday and the end is near, if not here. Needed planks to get out and the ice is melting fast. 22 inches of ice last weekend is now a shady 15 inches. Be really careful out there and dont go it alone.

We were out on the lake this morning... heavy fog, needed waders to get out, had to carry crazy sister in law like cleopatra on shoulders. The ice was 15", caught some sunnies and a few keeper perch. The weather was beautiful, had tons of fun, last time out on the ice this year, for sure....

Decided to play it safe and headed north.Went to Ann lake by Mora and just..... wink.gif

Is the ice on Tonka almost gone? I suppose the rain is helping with the melt. How much longer do you think before it will be completely open?

Grays and St Albans are clear. SOme scattered open water in the main lake. Very close now but probably still a week to go to ice out.

The main part of Halsteds was open this morning

Mr. Stanley, I saw your pic with a monster walleye with the guide on the Mississippi. We're going out with him a week from Friday, I hope we have that kind of luck too! Great fish!

He can find them. We already had two 8lbers in the livewell for later photos and were feeling pretty good about that and then I caught the big girl. Just dwarfed those fish. James caught another big one himself the next day. I wish I could get down on the river but I'm out of town for a big chunk of prime time - mad.gifWell there is next year and fall on the big pond and maybe I can finally get another over 30" on Minnetonka.

How big was the "big girl?"

13.3 lbs. Going to be awhile before I break that one. Couple of 13 and 14lb eyes come out of Pool 4 every spring but I haven't heard of anyone topping 15lb yet.

That is a great fish. How long was it? Where can I find a picture of it? I have a 33.5" that I never got a weight on and I am trying to compare (what a time for you scale not to work right). These types of fish are really a once in a lifetime fish.

The fish is in my avatar and if you can find the winter Esox Angler it's in there page 26 I think. Pool 4 fish are not typical. This one barely hit 30" on the tape. I've caught other 30" eyes that weighed between 10 and 11lbs. A 33" inch eye normal girth should run about 13lbs and change. That's what I would go with.

Yeah this 33.5" is my biggest and I was guessing about 13lbs 6-9oz. I have 7 over 10lbs. Actually my next heaviest was a 29.5" that was 10lbs 11oz. Most of my fish were caught up on Saganaga. I should try pool 4.