Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thewalleye

Smelting and moose sheds

6 posts in this topic

I was wandering if anybody has smelted up in the Eagles Nest chain of lakes and if so where to go.

Also wandering were to start looking for moose sheds in Brimson or Isabella. What kind of terrain to look for.

When snow gets deep and deer start to limit their movement they tend to hold in wintering areas. Normally thats where I'd look. With the lack of snow this winter the deer didn't really yard up till later after the snow came. The shedding started before that so I'd think that those sheds could be anywhere. Still I'd try southern facing slopes, trails in and out of feeding areas and winter yards.

Hi thewalleye. Smelters net in the culvert between lakes 2 & 3. I think you gotta hit em right on time though. I often see people there for a short time then pack up to try Burntside or their other spots. The smelters version of hole hopping... Good luck I hope you get lots out of there & report back if anything happens!

Not all smelt will run up rivers, in fact more probably spawn on shorelines the in rivers.

I think if you found a sand or gravel shoreline and seined it in the evening you'd get all the smelt you'd need.

That shoreline would need to be one that receives wave action. Something adjacent to deep water but have a gradual taper.

Thanx for the info. Thats how we smelt up in Grand Rapids. But still wondering what kind terrain to look for to find a moose shed.

Hmmm, I thought you said deer sheds, disregard that earlier post.

Moose are built for snow so they don't yard and I don't believe their matabilisum(sp?) slows down like deer, so I'd be looking around their food source, clear cuts.