Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riversmallmouth35

weekend fishing

15 posts in this topic

I dind't have any time to get out on the lake this weekend and was wondering how the ice was. Were the panfish biting? Hope you guys got out and caught some fish.

thanks for replies

Was out today and the ice was o.k there were some bad spots by the landings though. Got to be careful out near the shores but the main lake was fine. The fishing on the other hand was not fine. Caught only a few keeper fish, but it didn't matter we caught and released today. The wind was a killer out there felt like February. I don't think the panfish are biting great yet, probably start biting well next warm front.

I got out Saturday to Clearwater Lake, caught lots of small sunnies (well over 100) ended up sorting and kept 10 for the pan. Ice was still driveable but will probably not stay that way for too long.

went out on solo Saturday evening...fishing in about 4 1/2 feet of water the sunnies were very finicky...I layed on the ice and danced a little jig with one euro on it and got a fish every few minutes or so. Ended up with 7 eater sunfish which made a nice little brunch for me on sunday morning. looking forward to late this week when things heat up.

~SA/wdw

Well it looks like it going to be the final week on the ice. With the rain coming on Thursday i don't think the ice will hold up. I made it out yesterday and found some crappies and sunnies up in the shallows about 8 FOW. Marked fish all day and occassionaly picked one up. Waxworms on a small dimond jig produced the most. They really turned on between 4-5:30 and i couldn't keep a line in the water. I'll have to take off early from work this week could be a long time before any of us hit the ice again. Good luck and be safe!

I'm hoping to get out at least one more time on Friday.

thanks for the replies maybe i will get out one last time this week. Then it is open water fishing for me.

Hopefully there will be enough ice after the rain. I really want to get out a few more times this year. Just want two more weekends to ice fish then it's TURKEY TIME!!!

Anyone ever use wood planks to get on the ice? A friend of mine said he saw someone doing that...is that safe...maybe it's time to call it at that point..or maybe I'm wrong?

Yeah, I was hoping to make 1 last trip on the ice up to gull lake this saturday...but with the warm weather and the rain, I'll just start getting ready for spring crappies. Maybe I'll head south instead.

was out this morning with Flowage Tamer and another buddy...the ice is getting slippery! we managed plenty of nice crappies and sunnies for a fish fry tonight and the ice is still solid--probably a solid foot of ice and the shorelines remained intact. If necessary I would utilize a plank system to get on the ice but so far I haven't ever done it. With the predicted wind and rain and warm temps in the coming days I fear the "late ice" period is going to come to an abrupt close.

good luck whoever makes it out!

SA/wdw

Quote:

Anyone ever use wood planks to get on the ice? A friend of mine said he saw someone doing that...is that safe...maybe it's time to call it at that point..or maybe I'm wrong?

Depends on what you call safe and how comfortable you are around the water. If you don't mind getting your feet wet if (a) you happen to slip on the plank or (B) the time you get back to shore, the ice has receded further than the length of your plank then you should be fine using a board. The ice in the main part of a lake should be ok, doesn't hurt to check every 20 feet or so if are questioning it, but getting on the ice might be tricky.

Icehawk,

You been out this week? Can I get out one more time tomorrow?

I was out this evening with no problems--ice was still in good shape and it got a lot colder after that sun went down than I thought it was going to--holes were even starting to freeze back up a little so that probably helped to solidify things a bit. We should be good through the weekend no problem. Depends on the lake though.

SA/wdw

I was out after work yesterday with my boy on hunters bay and the access was opened up but we made it out on the ice and there was still good ice every else we tried. we had a great time with the sunnies. once we found them we had a hard time keeping our line wet. we had to do alot of sorting to get some for a meal but we both had a lot of fun. I had more fun watching my 11 yr old catching fish than anything. Just seeing that smile on his face from ear to ear was just priceless, there is nothing better than that.