Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otts

Best Pout Tatic

5 posts in this topic

OK, what is the best way to go after pout? It looked like the guys next to us were using big shiney spoons and then stomping on their big minnows before hooking them. Does that sound about right?

Thanks...Otts

my best method this year has been a jig with a northland glow stick on it, two feet off of the bottom. One or two lively and large fatheads and you are good to go. Then in your other hole jig a rattling spoon with a glow stick on it and a minnow head. most of my fish have come off of the dead stick though. Got 14 one night between 3 guys out on Grassy Island 2 weeks ago

If you are anything like me, go to any lake that has 'pout in it. Fish with the intention of catching any fish BUT 'pout and you are gaurnteed to catch them.

We used to catch them right where the river comes into Lake Bemidji from Irving. From shore or the pier before that water warms up in the spring.

caseymcq, good tactic! Works every time...

I usually like to pound bottom and create as much noise and flash as possible. The biggest Slender Spoon from Custom Jigs or a large Phelp's Glow Spoon have been the ticket for us. Tip 'em with a couple of minnows, pound bottom hard for a bit, then lift to about 1' and hang on...

'Pout are more active in the twilight hours into evening, but can be had during the day, especially now, since they're coming up to spawn.

Night- green jig with a dead minnow, let it sit close to the bottom on a rattle reel. you'll know that it is a pout when it takes it down 3 inches then it comes right back up. The ones that we have caught will usaully just sit there. We have had them do that and when we pull up the rattle reel 3 hours later, it is still on there.

Durring the day, I think that it is all chance.