Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tritonman

Whitefish on Green Lake

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone been icefishing for whitefish on Green lake? There are tons of them in there but I've never tried icefishing for them on Green. In the GloryDays of Leech lake you could catch hundreds of them a day! They are a blast. Don't need spots, just curious if anyone does it.

Tullibee's are in Green lake, the population is unclear. My uncle would gill nett them in the fall, when the DNR opened the lake for that. As for ice fishing many guys in the area would rather wait for spring then, spend time fishing tullibee's. I would like to try for them but a 4wheeler would be needed at this time to chase these little (1/2 to 2lb)fishes. Maybe if more guys around the area would give it a shot they may find a whole new late winter fishery.

I used to net in them in the fall also. But in the past five years two of the old timers I netted with passed away and the nets haven't seen the water in two years. They are a blast to catch through the ice though. I've always had my best luck using a flasher(like a spoon) and then another foot of line with a teardrop sunfish hook tipped with waxworms. They fight hard and when you get on a school of them the action is non-stop.

tritonman, noticed you are from hawick, we have a camper on thecampground just down the road.

Glenn57, I would assume you have it at Kemen's place on Long Lake. Yes that is just down the road from me. Great place. (unless you like sleep) grin.gif

tritonman, yes it is at kemens place. he,s a really goodfriend of mine. we do a lot of hunting and fishing together. the sleeping part isnt real bad if you have enough refreshments if you know what i mean. his wife is a cold spring girl which is where i live. stop in some weekend to say hi. we are in the north woods, ask for glenn or sue everone knows where we are.