Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hondavxr

Coming up for jumbos, is there access that I could walk to a good area?

21 posts in this topic

I want to try my luck at some jumbos but I dont have a wheeler frown.gif. I know that most access are not allowing cars and trucks no more. Is there any access that a guy can walk to good areas to hunt for some jumbos. Thanks for the help in advance

We went out from garrison landing on 3/17 with a truck. had to cross one crack about 8" wide, but better there than resort roads. some people walked out to pike point, and it's not a far walk

try Ceder creek I saw a couple guys walk from there out to by doe island

Thanks for the replies I will be up there on Monday morning. I guess I am going to get a work out lugging my portable around on foot. I will probably go out from Cedar Creek, If that doesnt work out, Garrison will be next. Good luck and see yalls there.

Well here is my report for today. The day didnt start out so good. I went to the Cedar creek access today, because I thought Appeldoorns closed their access. I got to the access and stepped out to investigate. The snow pack looked nice and hard. So I decided to just drive onto the lake. About ten foot from the shore I went over a ice heave and straight into soft snow. Now my vehicle is stuck because the ice is riding on the frame and I couldn't move. Had to call a tow truck and $80.00 later I am pulled out. crazy.gif The tow truck driver ask if I am going home or fishing. I said "Heck no I drove from St Paul, I am gonna fish even if I have to walk out. And to top it off it looked like some resorts still let vehicles out. Well, I parked and walked out about 1/4 mile into 17 ft of water. It was too windy to set up my portable and too sunny for me to see the TV with my underwater camera. Caught all the 3 in perches my hard desired, but were they finnicky. Most of them were caught on glow demon with waxy. I did manage three perches around 10-12 inches. Those bigger ones slammed the jig. Sorry the thread was so long, but I have to vent a little. Be careful guys when getting onto and off the lake. Good luck and be safe I aint coming up until I see you guys catching more jumbos grin.gif

sorry to here about your trip but. you did catch some fish so there is a positive. laugh.gif

Yeah everyone has their days. This isn't going to stop me from ice fishing though. I still want to do more hardwater before the boat comes out. Too much ice and too many fish to be stuck at home grin.gif

they're getting pretty consistent action out of Lybacks, 4 wheel drive vehicles only here on out. sleds and atvs recommended.

How deep of water where they hitting?

I was at Lybacks yesterday. Fished 34'. Kept 6 that were 10" plus. Threw back about a dozen smaller ones. I also missed quite a few. They bite real light and will suck it in and spit it out faster than you can set the hook. Drove the truck out yesterday, but with this weather it changes daily, so call ahead first. Theres 30+" of ice on the lake, but the landings get beat up pretty good. It will be wheelers only pretty soon. Lybacks has the best roads on the lake.

When the shorelines are opened up (100 feet and beyond) do any of you guys go out in a canoe or small boat to fish for perch in the shallows? Any success?

I was out to Lyback's "area" today and caught a total of 4 perch.2-10"ers, and 2 throwbacks. There were alot of people out there, and no one was having any luck. Could change any day though, I hope so!

How was the ice is there alot of water on it and do you recomend ATV or can you still drive out???? what depth were you in

thanks

I guess most were driving out of Lybacks. There was water on the ice in spots, but not to bad.I took a wheeler out. It will depend on the access if it holds up to vehicle travel, other than that the main lake ice is right to the motor of the auger.30-32 ft of water, but I did not try anything shallower.

We'll be comming up on Saturday and hope to be able to get the ATV's operational on the east side of the lake.

I have a couple of GPS coordinances that I would like to check out a second time...they treated us well the first time. Couldn't get to em after the big snow.

Grebe, you'll have no troubles with the atv's (assuming they are not polaris's) I drove from Cedar creek to Shermans flat yesterday, and had to cross one heave, other than that it was smooth sailing. Not much happening for me though. I hope to get out again, sounds like the weather is gonna be nice! Good Luck!

Quote:

assuming they are not polaris's

WOW!

Here I bought a Polaris to be able to go ice fishing in these conditions too! frown.gif I might risk it and give it a try anyway. grin.gif Happy fishing.

"hooks"

Thanks for taking my ribbing as a joke, and not getting mad! All in good fun! grin.gif

Quote:

(assuming they are not polaris's)

That's funny! Don't agree, but got a good chuckle.

JL...Somebody must have heard we were comming up? Some weather forecaster somewhere? Now they are saying a 30% chance of intermittent showers for Saturday in the Onamia area?

When I brought up the trip to a couple of my friends yesterday, the forecast was sunny and 58 degrees?

Still gonna point it north...but I'm bringing a rain suit just in case!

I'll probably be there also, coming up Sunday, but I am walking. I am going to stay in the Isle bay area. I am not taking my truck on this outing. 16 mpg and getting stuck once is all I need to learn. I am parking on the shore. Gas prices are a killer now, I think it's going to be my Subaru this time. If you see a guy in a green Forester stop and say Hi. Good luck yalls.