Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dilleyo

another crappie question

7 posts in this topic

I have been fishing crappies for about a month now and it might sound like a stupid question, but why are different lakes bite times so different? I was out last night around Lake Minnetonka and the crappies didn't start biting until after 7pm. I left at 11pm and they were still slamming my minnow as soon as I dropped it down the hole. Other lakes I have fished for crappies and the bite is only for about 1/2 hour to an hour right at sunset. And then there is Rush Lake where they bite all day long during the day (at least they did last time I was there). It was just kinda weird and fun that the bite lasted that long after dark. I would have stayed longer, but I was starting to get tired and Woodbury is kinda far from Lake Minnetonka.

I believe it has to do with fishing pressure. Also with what food source lake has to offer. This is a true fisherman’s quest, to find answers to questions like above. Once you master when and were the fish bite, you move on to what they bite on (bait and rig combo). The worst thing to do is to give up on a lake because they were not biting. I have found in past if you give up on a lake and leave, you catch less fish and spend more in gas.

I don't think the bite on the lakes I have been fishing has anything to do with the pressure they get. Rush lake gets pressure nonstop from early ice into late ice and I have never had a problem catching crappies there during the day. I know that the other lake by Minnetonka I was on has gotten hit pretty hard this year and the crappies didn't start until the sun was completely down and didn't stop the whole time I was fishing. They may have been biting all night long for all I know. Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but it's pretty obvious you'll catch less fish if you give up and leave because you won't have any lines in the water. grin.gif

You are correct in thinking that some lakes have better day bites than others, while other have better evening bites. A lot in my opinion has to do with water clarity, and the areas you are fishing. Shallow water crappie spots tend to be more evening spots, while deeper suspended fish can be caught during daylight hours. Lakes with a lot of stain also seem to have better day bites, while clear lakes often have better evening bites. And of coarse weather patterns can through the whole thing out of wack.

But most importantly, a lure not down the hole will not catch fish! day or night.

hey dilleyo, i'm pretty sure i know what lake you were on, i fished one similiar all year this year and had similar results. lots of 7-10"ers and a few over 12" access on south side of lake? email me @ mojaveman55@hotmail.com and we can hook up this weekend. i'll be out friday night!

I'd love to get out one more time while I can, but I don't think my schedule will allow it. And yes the access is on the south side of the lake. When you go out there, be careful because on Tuesday, there weren't many places to walk out from as the ice on the shore was pretty "iffy". Thanks for the invite and if I get some free time this weekend, I might just head out there. Be safe.

Quote:

But most importantly, a lure not down the hole will not catch fish! day or night.

Thats about the best bit of advice i seen on here in a while grin.gifgrin.gif