• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

yellow lab

golfer

I have couple questions for you people out there. Just got a yellow lab a couple months ago. I could swear he is going to tear the house apart piece by piece. Can a dog be both a hunting dog and an inside dog? How many of you out there have done this? Currently he sleeps in the garage but is in the house when we are in the house. I could swear I have another Marley and me in process. He sometimes listens well and other times well he can leave something to be disired. He seems to learn quickly but has more energy than you can shake a stick at. I'm sure this is to be expected. I have started to walk him on my bike to release some of his energy. When can we expect him to settle down? He's somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 months old.

Thanks for the replys.

Golfer

Golfer, In all my experiences with dog, I would guess he would settle down by the time he reaches about 2 years. grin.gif Good luck and just run him as much as you can.

Have a 8 month old pup that lives in the house. They need lots of excercise! She gets real wild when i don't get her out for enough. It helps that i have an older dog too. As stated above it takes a couple years for them to mellow out.

Enjoy the puppy in him while you can ! I thought the same thing with my lab. Very high strung dog. He is now 5 and still has puppy in him. He is a inside dog that can go outside or come back when he wants. He has slowed down a little bit, but I appreciate how active he is because he keeps himself in shape. He is also a hunting dog and he gets very excited when he knows that we are going to go and try to get some birds. He was also 3rd place over all at the dock jump last year at the game fair. The rules to "Do not play ball in the house" has changed since I got him, because there is no way to get around it. If you don't feel like playing, he eggs you on until you play. Your dog sounds a lot like mine at that age. I wouldn't change a thing. A dog door to go outside and an invisable fence were the best investments I made for him. I am sorry, but I have to laugh a little bit because I went through the same thing. Even though he is very high strung, it does get a little easier as time goes. Try to enjoy it, time goes so fast, I can't believe that my lab is already 5.

"hooks"

The key here is excercise. Make sure he gets out enough.

Dogs are like kids. Make sure they get loved and let them know who the Alpha male is.

They can definitely be both a family pet, and a good hunter, especially a lab.

Train him ASAP, alittle bit at a time, don't burn them out.

Make it a game, and quit for the night when they are still interested in it.

A shock collar is a good idea...after once or twice, you probablly won't even need to use it but put it on, they will listen cause they DO remember. You don't have to give them much of a jolt either.

Once again, treat them like you would treat your children, and you can't go too far wrong.

He will be pretty high strung for about 2 yrs. like someone already said. My female ivory is a yr&1/2 and she is still wound like a nine day clock.

Good Luck, and remember that obeddiance is the first step. smirk.gifsmirk.gif