• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sad day

Random guy

As the snow cover melts across Upper Red Lake the scene gets worse and worse. What was once shocking has now become the norm. Across the entire lake we are seeing piles of walleye carcasses, not just one or two but every couple hundred yards crows are feeding on the remains. Many of these fish are not only illegally cleaned on the lake they are out of slot fish. Some even measuring 25 or 26 inches in length with the back strap cut out and carcass discarded in along with the eggs that never made it to spawn.

So before the finger is pointed at the state agencies, other side of the line or “they” lets take a close look around us and consider how many more didn’t take the time to clean the fish on the lake.

The real irony to this situation was how one group a few weeks ago stopped and chatted with about how happy they are to see the lake come back. They mentioned the fun they where having bringing up the kids and watching them catch walleyes. Negative statements where made concerning the future of netting and DNR policies and how the lake is in danger due to those issues. Well this group was off by themselves and the only ones that fished that area as it was a bit out of the way…guess what showed up the snow bank as it melted down. The same thing we are plowing up all over, the same things that are making the crows fat.

It is a sad day when I pick up a bag of trash and happy to see it is just garbage and not this.

saddaybo4.jpg

I would agree. Those same people will blame others for the destruction of the lake and yet will favor a higher daily limit. I cannot believe what some so called sportsman will do for a meal. frown.gif

Dont we all wish that the State had the cash to hire 20 times the CO's.

That makes me ill! mad.gif Remember, if you suspect that someone is doing this, call the T.I.P line! I joined TIP after I found out they aren't funded by the State, only donations. Jon, you and those who live there really see the good & bad in the people who fish the lake. Unfortunately, this time of year you see the worst that is left behind by the game thieves. So sad indeed.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That's just unbelieveable. frown.gif

That, is plain and simple selfishness at it's worst mad.gif To say that kind of behavior by people who consider themselves sportsman pisses me off is an understatement. People like that disgust me crazy.gif

Sad is right! It just amazes me what some people will do for a few fish fillets. I can honestly say I have never or will ever do something like that...I just can't understand what the thinking is behind this?? These individuals aren't sportsmen at all, they are plain and simple law breakers and I wish there was a way to catch them.

I've always known some people do this stuff, it's just a sad fact, but I had no idea it was as bad as you stated.

Wow. Sad is an understatement.

It really makes me wish the state would stop blowing millions every year on crap and start spending it where it's needed, 5000 more CO's.

Unbelievable. It's really unfortunate how some people have such a hard time following the rules. This problem seems to be particularly true when it concerns fish and game.

This is truly disgusting. It makes you wonder how low some people will go. I don't think many people understand how truly fragile the fishery is....it turns my stomach.

I wonder if the co's and the police could get the fingerprints off of the carcasses??? confused.gif

As revolting as this photo is, I cannot determine if any of the carcasses shown are within the slot size. And while it’s illegal to clean harvest slot limit fish while on the ice, this could be the remains of a group of fives legal limit. I know it's only one pic and a small sample of whats being found each day.

I am by no means trying to diminish the seriousness of this situation and I would like to think that most of the people on this forum would not be party to this type of behavior. Should this be brought to a larger audience? I ask how to get the message to these (Contact Us Please), that this behavior is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Could media coverage be valuable and would any of them be interested in covering it? Is there a way to limit these incidents without having five C. O’s on the lake at all times? My Thoughts.

If two a two fish limit is not enough, LOW is only a 45 minute drive away. Why not go there to get some more table fare. It is absolutely disgusting what you will find out there, they were even found when the walleye's were closed to harvest. Those who did this, will get their due. What goes around comes around.

Really not sure what to say about that photo. Just disgusting.

Probably the same guys who crowd houses, park & drill holes in the road, speed on the ice roads, and complain about paying an $8 road fee.

Sportsman? Ya right! confused.gif

The fines also need to be much higher for those who are caught. In some states if you pull this crap and get caught you will lose your license ( all of them ) for up to 5 years. Our court system and legistatures need to get a larger set of balls and nail those who are caught. If they can confiscate a vehicle for DUI or Drugs, then lets get real serioous here as well. I agree we need more CO's if we expect to get the job done. Bill

The walleye on the upper left of the picture was a 23+ inch fish to give you some ideas of the size. This is just the top of the pile of remains. This area flooded and refroze leaving just the top bag exposed. The white bag is froze in completely except for the hole torn in the top. The tail sticking up top middle goes into another bag and as you can see the tan colored bag is froze completely over yet.

It is looking like the #1 type of garbage left on the lake this winter could be fish remains stuffed into plastic shopping bags. frown.gif It isn't even out of the ordinary to see this anymore this winter. Sadly enough it has become a very commen sight.

I was one that complained last summer about the out of area CO's being too tough, too strict. After what we are seeing now I realize that I was wrong.

The DNR needs to catch a few and make a very good example out of them. Its one thing if one does it but with so many not complying with the regs they need to get hammerred hard.

The fines have to start to stiffen up or some will never learn and it will continue only worse as they tell thier buddy's you can get away with it.

Out of the mouths of babes. I justed showed the pic to my 7 yr old grandson and read the posts to him.He understood it all and described the violator(s) as "dirty". mad.gif

Quote:

Is there a way to limit these incidents without having five C. O’s on the lake at all times? My Thoughts.

ONE C.O. could do the job, if that C.O. was allowed to do his/her job. Currently C.O.s are bound with red tape, lawmakers have made it pretty tough for a C.O. in the winter.

well, if the DNR has been handcuffed by the pols, drop me an e-mail as to what ya think could and should be changed. I'll track the specific statutes and get back. Maybe as a group things can be changed.

On this kinda stuff, I believe in "no surrender, no prisoners."

Jon, I agree with you on the red tape and restrictions, but I would like to see a greater presence. I know several CO's and they are hard working deticated people. I also know that in the 19 full days I have spent on Red in the last two years, I have been checked once. Not much of a deterent. If I were one to think about keeping an extra fish or two, I could sure be persuaded not to if I knew there was a chance I might get checked more frequently. And if one CO checks some folks more than once the harassment call comes into play. Personally, I would rather be checked a couple times a day or as often as necessary.

Sure would be great if somewhere we could find a solution or at least keep it to a minimum. TJ

Someone should start a group that goes around asking what people have been catching and if they see anything suspcious or wrong the could call the T.I.P. line. Just a thought.

I think the thing that would help the most is to make stiffer fines and penalties. Fine em' a hundred bucks an inch and take away their license for a year...first offense! That should get a large number of the poachers thinking twice. Any idea who we could talk to about this kind of stuff? DNR? Local Reps?

There was a discussion on here about the change in laws a few years ago. Most people on this site supported the changes making it more difficult for COs to enforce ice fishing laws. I didn't and still believe that you should not have the same right to privacy in a fish house that you have in your home. If your breaking the law are you going to let a CO enter your fish house? Of course not, unless your stupid.

That issue is decided constitutional law. But only for private houses. A waiver for rentals would pass legal challenge.

Thats the problem with the law the way it stands. The lawbreaker can tell the CO to go away and not let him in. To me, that is wrong for our fish.

the law in question is the Constitution, not something that a pol pushed thru the legislature.

Bottom line is that the Supreme Court of MN decided that fish house searches require probable cause. Same as your home or your car. That's not gonna change anytime soon.

So back to the dilema. What needs to be done?

A friend of mine while pulling his wheelhouse back from Red got stopped near Blackduck in January by a sherrif and a C.O. They checked everything! He was legal with everything. Has anyone else ever been stopped or heard of anyone getting stopped?

An occasional checkpoint would be a good idea.

It may not stop the cleaning and eating of the fish on the lake, but it's something.

Quote:

A friend of mine while pulling his wheelhouse back from Red got stopped near Blackduck in January by a sherrif and a C.O. They checked everything! He was legal with everything. Has anyone else ever been stopped or heard of anyone getting stopped?

An occasional checkpoint would be a good idea.

It may not stop the cleaning and eating of the fish on the lake, but it's something.

I would bet they had a tip on something and he fit the profile or something like that.