Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

2 bank charger vs. 3 bank?

9 posts in this topic

I have a bigger boat now and she has a 175 Suzuki on it. The sales fella tells me that I DO NOT need a three bank charger on it because the 175 has a 40 amp alternator and other motors have a 25 amp. He thinks I will NEVER need that. he said the starting battery will not need to be hooked up.

Do you guys believe that?

Thanks in advance

Hitman

I doubt you would need it, unless you do a lot of no wake driving or just put-putting at night - i.e. not much WOT driving, and all lights on, livewell on, etc.

We have used both 3 and 2 bank, and will never go back to 2 bank because "just in case" reasons. Might as well have the starter plugged in as well. My 2 cents smile.gif

i 2nd what boxMN said!

Ditto....That xtra bank never hurts.

I find I dont need to charge my starting battery often. My 115 Yammy keeps it charged up nicely.I have a 2 bank charger for my trolling batteries. I use another charger for my starting battery. Even with all my electronics on my starter battery and motor I dont need to often charge it. I check it after every time out though.

However I would have gotten a 3 bank if I had room for it with my front batteries. If you have the room and cash get a 3 bank and know you have it covered.

You want an automatic 3 bank trickle charger, no question. Keep the starting battery fully charged at all times, color screens, backlights, multiple gps/sonar units, powered gps antennas, radios, cd players, livewell pumps, running and navigation lights, etc. will all do number on them. Better safe than sorry with a starting battery.

In my opinion you are getting some really bad advice and info from your sales guy. Mercs that size have 2 30-amp alternators on them.

I have a 3 bank charger, but I don't have the starting battery hooked up, and have had no problems. a little common sense goes a long way, if your using many electronics or lights, start the main motor every now and then to rechgarge that battery.

That is what I thought -- thanks.

BTW -- He is still trying to talk me inot a MinnKota and I still want the dual pro.

Thoughts?

How about this:

You are docked up over night, one heck of a rain storm comes in while you are sleeping. The auto bilge kicks on and keeps the boat from swamping, but how long will it run before the battery dies? The onboard my save your hide and your trip. I was fishing a tourney and just that happened. The guys that had the 3 banks where ok, the others had half sunk boats and dead batteries. Late start for them.

I am great for leaving the key on or nav lights on, the onboard will help make you the cool guy and not the dork that just launched a boat with a dead battery. wink.gif