Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lure Color in June??

7 posts in this topic

Good afternoon--I will be fishing Rainy Lake for the first time during June and will be building some crawler harnesses for our trip. I was wondering about what color might be best for the spinners, beads, etc would/might be best during that time frame. We will be arriving at Island View Lodge for the week of June 9th and are looking forward to a great trip.

Thanks to all in advance,

Heavy J

Well if you're building them yourself I'd make a variety.

You can usually never go wrong with bright colors (chartruse, orange, etc.) but some days silver or gold might produce. Just depends on the weather (sun vs. clouds or wind vs. calm). Tie up a few of each and keep testing until you find what they want. If the fish are hungry, color won't be a huge factor. However if you get a front of some sort during your trip, that might call for some experimenting.

Also, be prepared to have some other kinds of tackle ready to go, especially jigs. A jig or lindy rig tipped with a shiner can be deadly in June.

I agree with Fish and Fowl. Gold and Chartuese seem to be my better colors reguardless of the conditions, but the hot color will vary. As F&F said be prepared with lindies and jigs as well.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

Hammered Gold

Thanks to all--I appreciate the information and look forward to our trip. It will be interesting to read all the forum questions and answers in the weeks leading up to the departure date...thx again,

Heavy J

Hey Heavy J,

As Rainy Dude mentions Hammered Gold is a standard up here. I also would like to add that your hook choiced may actually be the most important part of your rig set up. I would highly recommend not skimping on your hooks. Good razor sharp wide gap hooks are a great choice, and will definately increase your hook-ups. Match size hooks with your bait selection for your trip.

Good Fishing!

HI 2255,

I KNOW ONE OF THE BEST GUIDES ON RAINY USES ONLY UNPAINTED JIGS FOR WALLEYES, I KNOW 1 GUY WHO ONLY USES PLASTICS IN THE COLOR OF(MOTOR OIL)FOR SMALLIES ON THE RIVER, SO DON'T GET TO HUNG UP ON COLORS., I WOULD BE MUCH MORE CONCERNED ABOUT WHERE THE FISH ARE. AS FAR AS SPINNERS, YEA THEY STILL WORK, BUT THEY REMIND ME OF MY DAD USING STRIP ON SPINNERS IN THE THIRTIES., THE WAY PEOPLE FISHED WAS TROLL AROUND THE SHORELINES, UNTIL YOU CAUGHT SOMETHING. WITH OUR PRESENT FISHING TECHNIQUES, GRAPHS, G.P.S., MAPPING SYSTEMS, ETC.,ETC... I WOULD HAVE A GOOD 28 LB. ANCHOR, A 125 FOOT OF ROPE, A GOOD GRAPH, A GOOD TROLLING MOTOR, SOME MARKERS, A GOOD SET OF MAPS. THEN ALOT OF JIGS 1/8 TO 3/8 OZ. JIGS., #2 SALMON HOOKS, OR #6 REGULAR HOOKS, SOME GOOD LINE EITHER BROWN OR LINE THAT VANISHES IN THE WATER FOR MAKING LEADERS, 1/8 TO 3/8 OR SLIP SINKERS., AND IF YOU LIKE TO TROLL, BRING CRANKS. MANY FOLKS THINK BECAUSE RAINY IS 1 OF THE 20 BEST WALLEYE LAKES IN THE WORLD, THEIR GOING TO COME HERE & HAMMER THE FISH...WRONG, YOU MUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK, MAYBE HIRE A GUIDE FOR A DAY OR THE TRIP...& DON'T BE TO PROUD TO TAKE SOME ADVICE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER