Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random guy

Jonny P's Report 03/15/07

13 posts in this topic

Upper Red Lake Fishing Report

March 15, 2007

Upper Red Lake fish lost there stability during the snow cover and steady frontal condition rolling through the area. This has changed the game dramatically, currently you earn what you catch when it comes to Crappies. Anglers that aimlessly plop down in a crowded area or feel lake maps and researching current conditions is wasting time are going home with empty buckets. Now the angler that stays mobile and tries different presentations until a no fail combination is produced are rewarded with steady action of 13-15” crappies.

Some different baits have also been tipping over fish, such as 2” power minnows and ultra big baits such as large Demons, JB Weasels, Varmits and Slender Spoons tipped with minnows or just the minnow head are seducing aggressive fish at a fast “run-n-gun” pace. The less active midday fish are bug eaters, mostly anything that resembles mayfly nymphs. A solid combination has been the Ju-Ju jig tipped with creature style baits pounded on the bottom and twitched up the water column in glow colors.

Perch action is steadly picking up. Fish 10-11” are very common with the bruiser Jumbos mixed in. Most action has been found right with the crappies over the mud and the gravel/mud transitions in 9 to 11 feet of water. Ju-Ju style jigs tipped with tentacle or creature type plastics have been working well as have the smaller spoons with crappie minnows pounded on the bottom to entice neutral fish.

Eelpout are making visits more frequently, love them or hate them they are a solid fighter and a good sign that the lake is on the path to full recovery.

March is upon us and spawn is right around the corner, it is time for these fish to put on the feed bags and start tearing up the water column.

Good luck and enjoy the outdoors.

Jonny P.

Who makes the varmit lures? Never tried em. Thanks

Quote:

Who makes the varmit lures?

Varmints?

JB Lures makes them. There is the regular Varmint spoon (similar to a Go-Devil) and they also make the Rattling Varmint which has been dynamite this year for me, on many different lakes.

What about the warm weather? Is it increasing the activity of the fish now, after the snow has melted? Just a thought!

Pikester

JB Lures Rattling varmit has been my go to lure for the eyes and some crappies this winter. Great product and company also. You can order online and there shipping is as fast as thier product is good.

www.jblures.com

Thanks for the info fellas.

WOW! THAT PUTS A WHOLE NEW SPIN ON FISHING RED LAKE, ALL I HAVE HAD REAL LUCK WITH WAS FATHEADS WITH VARIOUS JIGS. UNFORTUNATELY, WE ARE HEADING UP THIS WEEKEND AND THE ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT DOWN HERE IS DEFINTELY PUT AWAY FOR THE SUMMER. SO DO YOU THINK ANYBODY WOULD HAVE ANY OF THE LURES MENTIONED ON HAND IN BLACK DUCK OR POSSIBLY EVEN ONE OF THE BAIT SHOPS UP THERE HAVE ANY OF THAT STUFF? PRETTY SOON MY ICE FISHING TACKLE BOX IS GOING TO BE BIGGER THAN MY OPEN WATER TACKLE BOX.

If you go through Baxter there is Reeds & Gander. In Walker Reeds and in Bemidji you have Gander again. The bait shops in Blackduck, Kelliher and Waskish have pretty good selection of the traditional jigs. I'm not sure about the plastics though.

DR TACKLE had some ratso and shripos last time i was in there

Quote:

Quote:

Varmints?

JB Lures makes them. There is the regular Varmint spoon (similar to a Go-Devil) and they also make the Rattling Varmint which has been dynamite this year for me, on many different lakes.

Drop the "n" big fella, Varmit not mint as JB Lures prefer...what to do with Hanson? confused.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Varmints?

Drop the "n" big fella, Varmit not mint as JB Lures prefer...what to do with Hanson? confused.gifgrin.gif

Boy, I am sure glad I had it correct. I didnt know you were an English major Jonny. grin.gif

I just look, act and speak like a dork. The mind is busy, sometimes misguided but busy. grin.gif

CrappieFinder, I bought Varmits and some other stuff at Hillmans today. Westwinds also has a good selection along with Dr. Tackle.