Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Grebe

Mud Lake

5 posts in this topic

We were up on Mud Lake near Mora yesterday....talk about an excercise in futility! Heavy on the excercise!

Three of us tramped from one end of that lake to the other, through slush and mush and water and ice crust that would break at every step.

As hard as we fished and we gave it about 3 1/2 hours in the late afternoon to twilight, we came away with 3 little potato chip crappies and about 50 perch....all about as big as an average thumb!

I do believe that the lake may be experiencing winter kill, as it isn't very deep to begin with. I found a number of little dead sunfish that had floated up in holes around the lake.

From all that walking and dragging that Otter and gear behind me, I thought my legs would be shot today, but that wasn't the case...had the forecast not been so grim, I would have been ready to hit it again today! smile.gif

New lake, new enthusiam...hope springs eternal! Can't go tomorrow, wifes b-day, so I guess it will be a week-end attack?

Hey Grebe, Mud used to be a good lake, but it has dwindled in the last few years.Kinda the same as Knife, at least from my expierience? There are some better lakes around, but just like other lakes, timing seems to be the key.You want sunfish, or crappies? I saw some guys fishing the far end of Ann lake today, but I suppose after your last outing out there you don't want to go back?

JLTIMM...My brother and my nephew were on Ann a few days back, they got some sunnies, nothing to write home about.

My son and his friend were on Mud about a week ago and they got both sunnies and crappies, not many, but respectable in size.

On a few of the lakes I've fished, my timing has been off by just a bit, but I can only go fishing when I can fit it in...sometimes it's a little, sometimes it's alot, sometimes near, sometimes far, sometimes I kick, sometimes I get kicked (Mud) whine as I might, it's still all good! smile.gif

i have had the same luck in hardwater fishing on this lake but if you want big sunfish this lake is it and crappie are big too but after ice out with jug and minniow work great on the north end outlet and west side drop off 6 to 9 fow good fishing

ann lake has been kicking out some nice sunnies this week. seen a limit of 9 1/2 to 10 in along with pics of some more nice ones released. the access off 47 is taped off, you have to use the one to the North.