Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
247outdoors

any open water

6 posts in this topic

are there any open water at st. croix or at the king plant

I don't think King is running yet. Sure the croix is starting to open up. Mississippi is open for fishing.

How about an update on the croix? Is she open? Also what does anyone think of the possibility of a hard freeze anymore?

Have the boat out of storage with the new goodies on and am itching to get it on the water but with an IO I don't want to go through the winterizing again.

I was down by the river checking on it and there are big ice sheets floating around(st. croix bluffs area).. sure was windy though.. not too much longer and it should be wide open.. this is below 94 though.. not sure about north of 94. the river is getting alittle high as well..

Orlip,

The St. Croix north of Stillwater is open. The Mississippi is open as well. In terms of a hard freeze I can't see that happening.

Not sure about your particular motor, but just let all the water drain out of it and you don't need to worry about the freeze issue.

To drain all of the water simply lower the motor so the lower end unit is vertical and the water will run out of the prop and a couple other places, though most will come from the prop. Some guys do a "flash" turn over of the engine, I never do, and I run my motor all winter on the Mississippi and never have problems.

I saw two boats fishing north of the Stillwater bridge today, and they likely launched at the boomsite public launch.

Good luck- hope they're biting.

Turk

Thanks for the info. As far as my motor goes I have a inboard, takes me about a half hour to drain the block (350 chev engine) I think I'll wait another week. Its a big boat but I don't know about its ice breaking abilities. I guess the warm weather has got me anxious.