Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blueberryum

Bass Lake Gills

14 posts in this topic

Anyone know how to get out to bass lake from county road 62 (dump road) so i can catch some of those big gills?? i havent drove by there recently but i would like to give it a shot. right when you come off of south shoal lake road you can see the lake and thats where i want to get to. any info. would help. thanks

I know where your talking about but I dont know how to get out there either. I dont think that that resort is open but I'm sure you could ask if you could ride out there if your truck can make it. I don't know if there is a boat landing on that end of the lake but look at a map and see. Anyone else know. I heard those gills are big

I was out a few times last year and did very well, we parked on 62 on walked out on marked trail at the far end of campground I am pretty sure you can also use an atv on this trail.It is kind of a haul but well worth it, even though you can only keep 5 fish.

Keep in mind that instead of keeping 5 fish -- You can release them all.

Quote:

Keep in mind that instead of keeping 5 fish -- You can release them all.

Its sad when you go out there and see a bunch of guys culling and taking the 5 biggest gills possible. Keep the 7-8 inch fish and throw the big bulls back. Some people just don't understand.

I personally won't eat a fish from this lake with the garbage dump so close. Can only imagine what seeps into the lake.

We will be up in that area June 12-16. Is Bass Lake worth trying for Gills at that time? I would just like a picture of the kind of gills that I hear come out of there. What else can a guy target in Bass Lk?

Perch? Eyes?

Thanks in advance,

Dodger

They gills should be spawning around then in a normal year or just getting done.

i have fished walleyes out there a few times and did decent. there are some big ones but its kind of hard to fish. we were using slip bobbers right before night. good luck.

Dodger, my mom lives on the south end, they did very well last year in mid-june. In-fact my son caught 13 bluegills pushing 10" one afternoon. I haven't caught that many 10" gills in a season much less an afternoon. It was good fishing until about mid-july, so your trip in mid-june should be perfect. The bass fishing should be very good at that time as well.

Dodger,

We were on Bass last year during the 2nd week in June. Will be there that same week as you this year as well. Did well on the Gills. Didn't catch a ton of bass, but they were all between 3-5 pounds. Plenty of hammer handle northerns to keep you busy. Here are a couple pics from last years trip

tygillew4.jpg

dadbassud4.jpg

I lived for a year on Bass Lake. Didn't have a boat, but fished from the dock at the place I was renting from. The night fishing for walleyes was phenomenal, and that was just from a dock. I caught a number of them ranging from 20" up to 29.5" and missed probably the biggest fish of my entire life. The time of year was late May on into early June.

And, if you know where a guy named Larry Molskness lived (or still lives....I have no idea), that's where I rented from and that's where I caught the walleyes off his dock. North end of the lake, just off Bass Lake Road. It's been nearly 10 years since I lived there, so the memory on location is a bit foggy. smirk.gif

The fishing out on bass has been slowly declining in size of the gills being caught. Just over pressure, takes almost as long for a 10" gill to grow as a large walleye does. There is way too many guys keeping the 5 biggest fish they can. The lake can not take the pressure that it is receiving to keep producing large bull gills. This winter I gave up on the lake. Below I have photos of fish my good friend kyle curtiss, my girlfriend Emily Hanson and I caught in years past, all these fish were released. My girl friend even caught this big northern on a tip-up, her first fish on a tip-up ever.

camera050.jpg

camera034.jpg

camera066.jpg

camera071.jpg

I totally agree Troy. I think it has alot to do with laziness/greediness. How much of a challenge is it to go to the same lake/spot day after day and catch fish? If a person is going to do this, at least only keep a meal or two and catch and release most of the fish. I didn't even fish Bass this winter because of all the pressure out there. Once the word gets out on a lake, you get people that go out there and pound it day after day, month after month and then complain about where all the decent sized gills (in this case went). Selective harvest doesn't mean keeping a meal of fish every time out. Nice pics by the way!

Just my .02 worth

Brian

Mitch,

You suck at fishing. You should stick to playing cards and drinking beer.

HAHAHA