Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Katman

fly tying kit

Katman

Well...you guys know how the itch goes. I started fly fishing a little over a year ago. I'm no pro...but i do want to tie my own flies now. I almost bought a tie kit from gander mountain yesterday for about 49.99. It came with a ton of fly materials, a few tools, vise, a little book and some head cement. I was wondering if anyone of you guys started with this or a similar kit? Or maybe you guys can point me out to a better quality or bang for the buck kit to start out with. I think this was a guide series kit. My main goal was to tie some nymphs, boogers...basically some trout flies and maybe some clousers or other warm water flies. Thanks! grin.gif

Linh

turiprap

I would avoid the kit. The inexpensive ones have poor quality tools and materials that are of poor quality and in many cases just plain weird. A decent vise (Griffin makes good entry-level vises, for example) will last a lifetime, as will most of the tools, although it's possible to wear out even good scissors and bobbins. This is yet another case where a visit to your local fly shop can pay off. They can help you get good tools and specific materials that will set you on your way and most of them offer tying classes as well.

DinkADunk

If you're in the metro area, take the basic fly tying class at Bob Mitchel's Fly Shop in Lake Elmo. Then just buy the materials as you need them. You'll end up with better materials, and just the materials you need for the flies you need to tie.

so haaad

I started tying flies with an entry level kit that I got as a gift. The vise lasted 12 years, but most of the materials were very low quality or just materials that most flytyers never would use. Stay away from the kits.

EatSleepFish

one of the most important tools in tying is a GOOD pair of QUALITY scissors. learned that the hard way my first few seasons of trying to hack off the heads of my muddlers...a pair of curved scissors really make for a nice round head on deer hair flys too.

Katman

Thank you guys for your help. From what I gathered here and from a few friends...the kits are cheap. I'm going to stop by Bob's today for some help in the right direction and maybe sign up for the class if theres still room. I will invest in some quality tools very soon! Look out for tying questions!! grin.gif

Nate McVey

Although some kits are filled with less quality items, it is a good way to find out if you are patient and nimble enough to stick with it. I got a vise, bobbin and hackle tweezers from my grandpa which I love, but I bought a kit a few years back to get started. Get a book, or sit down with a friend and just practice. It is a lot of fun and very satisfying to catch a fish on something you tied yoursef! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

so haaad

Be careful! Both fly tying and "tying one on" are very addicting!