Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katman

fly tying kit

8 posts in this topic

Well...you guys know how the itch goes. I started fly fishing a little over a year ago. I'm no pro...but i do want to tie my own flies now. I almost bought a tie kit from gander mountain yesterday for about 49.99. It came with a ton of fly materials, a few tools, vise, a little book and some head cement. I was wondering if anyone of you guys started with this or a similar kit? Or maybe you guys can point me out to a better quality or bang for the buck kit to start out with. I think this was a guide series kit. My main goal was to tie some nymphs, boogers...basically some trout flies and maybe some clousers or other warm water flies. Thanks! grin.gif

Linh

I would avoid the kit. The inexpensive ones have poor quality tools and materials that are of poor quality and in many cases just plain weird. A decent vise (Griffin makes good entry-level vises, for example) will last a lifetime, as will most of the tools, although it's possible to wear out even good scissors and bobbins. This is yet another case where a visit to your local fly shop can pay off. They can help you get good tools and specific materials that will set you on your way and most of them offer tying classes as well.

If you're in the metro area, take the basic fly tying class at Bob Mitchel's Fly Shop in Lake Elmo. Then just buy the materials as you need them. You'll end up with better materials, and just the materials you need for the flies you need to tie.

I started tying flies with an entry level kit that I got as a gift. The vise lasted 12 years, but most of the materials were very low quality or just materials that most flytyers never would use. Stay away from the kits.

one of the most important tools in tying is a GOOD pair of QUALITY scissors. learned that the hard way my first few seasons of trying to hack off the heads of my muddlers...a pair of curved scissors really make for a nice round head on deer hair flys too.

Thank you guys for your help. From what I gathered here and from a few friends...the kits are cheap. I'm going to stop by Bob's today for some help in the right direction and maybe sign up for the class if theres still room. I will invest in some quality tools very soon! Look out for tying questions!! grin.gif

Although some kits are filled with less quality items, it is a good way to find out if you are patient and nimble enough to stick with it. I got a vise, bobbin and hackle tweezers from my grandpa which I love, but I bought a kit a few years back to get started. Get a book, or sit down with a friend and just practice. It is a lot of fun and very satisfying to catch a fish on something you tied yoursef! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Be careful! Both fly tying and "tying one on" are very addicting!