• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rose admits to betting on Reds everynight

870Express

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

I just took an ESPN poll on whether Major League Baseball should reinstate Pete Rose.

70% Yes

30% No

Rule: If you bet on baseball, you are banned from baseball

Fact: Rose bet on baseball

The thing that gets me is after lying to us for 15 years, he finally comes clean as part of a book publicity tour (if he didn't make enough money off of baseball) Now he continue making a mockery out of our pastime.

I like the fact that people now are believing that he only bet on his team to win......Let him in the hall of fame as a player cause he was one of the greatest but never let him participate in everyday baseball again!!!!

870E,

Did you ever see this guy play during the 1970's?

I've never met Rose, and he seems like a real horses hind-end, but he played the game the way it was supposed to be played. One of the best ever, period.

I say, carve-out a place for him in the Hall, then ignore him until 'he gone'.

Phalen

If anyone is making a mockery of the game it's Bud Selig.

Charlie Hustle, put him in the hall.

A HOF indeed. But just to warn you, i'm a Barry Bonds fan also. I love the man's swing, and until proven guilty? Rose's whole spiel lately is becuz he know's he will never get in until he fesses up. The HOF should be on what he did when he played. If you took into account all the post retirement issues with current HOF"s in every sport, we could go on and on. I'm sure I'll get ripped, but he is a Hall of Fame baseball player.

Boyhood hero of mine. Watched him play quite a few games live in the early 70's. He indeed played it the way it was meant to be. This nightmare gets worse everytime he opens his mouth. He's a sick man that should have gotten help two decades ago. He just doesn't get it. And Baseball selectively allows him to participate when it benefits them. Rose participated in All Century team festivities etc. Huge Rose display opens at Cincy GABP next month. Is he completely banned or not? They aren't handling many things very well IMO.

Failin'onPhalen I have seen a couple of Rose's games on ESPN Classic. I more than agree with you that he played the game the right way (1970 All-Star Game).

The fact is the rulebook says if you break Rule 21 (gambling in baseball), you cannot make the HOF. If Selig lets him in, Selig has to rewrite the rules allowing people who put their financial interest ahead of their team. I don't like the option of letting him in as a player because he was betting while he was a player too. I just read an article where John Dowd (Dowd Report) states that time constraints prevented him from uncovering that Rose bet against his beloved Reds. The HOF has a character test, and Rose failed.

another thing I don't hear people bring up is that he was a player/manager if I recall.......so then wasn't he actually betting then while he was a player......either way I could care less what he did.....he is a jackhole but as a player you can't deny the feats he accomplished......it is very similar to the shoeless joe story.....there is no way you can prove as a player either of them did a thing to throw a game...Both should be in the HOF!!!!

Having had the privlidge of watching Charlie Hustle play, I'd have a hard time saying he threw a game.

They should have a wall of shame within the hof and put shoeless and rose in there.

The cardinal rule of baseball is never bet. Rose broke that rule and lied about it.

Rose will not outlive the baseball writers who vote for the hall of fame.

"another thing I don't hear people bring up is that he was a player/manager if I recall......."

Ozzie

Rose batted about .230 in 1986 and hung it up as a player. Who knows for sure, but I'm hopeful the problems started after that, not that is it matters. Any hope he had for re-instatement died when he lied for two decades. Half the people that watched him play are dead, or sick of the drama and don't care anymore. If Pete ever goes to the HOF, I think it will be after he's dead and can't make them sorry for it.

I seem to remember that Rose agreed by signature to his ban for life from baseball. Are we now to dismiss that because he's finally (maybe) being forthcoming? This is a sad, sad story. I had the pleasure of watching him play when I was a boy. He was the epitome of an overachiever and great fun to watch. But the game is bigger and its integrity needs to be upheld. If they let him in, anything goes.

This talk of integrity in baseball makes me laugh. Baseball hasn't had any integrity since 1908. Betting, drug and steriod use, team inequality, the list goes on and on. Pete was made a scapegoat to give baseball the appearence of integrity. You put lipstick on a pig and you still got just a pig.

WOW Shocking, never saw that coming.

I say let him in the hall. He's got over 4000 hits!

Quote:

no you have a pig with lipstick.

Yea, I don't quite get your comeback there potsy, please explain.

Quote:

Baseball hasn't had any integrity since 1908.

I beg to differ. See Minnesota Twins!!!

GO TWINS!

Agreed. However I was referring to Bud & MLB the organization. The Twins organization and players are a refreshing break from major league sports in general.

Quote:

I beg to differ. See Minnesota Twins!!!

Already had their blip on the map of steroids even or are we forgetting a certain relieve pitcher. Oh yea how about the fingernail file incident with another pitcher. I know, I know minor compared to others, but not perfect - almost, but not!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

GO TWINS IN 2007!!!

rose should be in. It's what he did on the field that counts. Bonds is cheater. He's in. Why- He hits the long ball and slugs better than Ruth. What rose did was after he played. His stats should speak for themeselves, and as far as I know, He wasn't roiding up like Bonds and many players are today. Betting on baseball after your done playing, big deal. Cheating and lying about your past and present while you still play, (BOnds Mcgwire etc) another deal. Yet Bonds is in, no doubt about it becasue he hits the long ball.

Rose played the game like a Saint held outta heaven- destined for hell,,, as a baseball player, and a honest one, he deserves the Hall.

What he did after words is like what MJ did after he retired from B-ball. Big deal. Both the best of their times.

Didn't he lie about his betting on BB for years ? He bet on the games as a player & manager didn't he ? How honest is that ? Personally if he got in I wouldn't be upset but if you disregard and throw out the rule book for him , who else gets a flyer and for what ? Betting on Baseball is against the rules if your a player or manager and Charlie Hustle self admittedly broke that rule . Everbody forgets that What McGwire did WASN'T against the rules when he did it . The substance he took wasn't a banned substance by MLB when he took it . He is being punished because he flipped off MLB by not cowering to them . Rose shouldn't be all that upset , the HOF is a joke anyway . Until Bert & Shoeless Joe are inshrined .... well it'll still be a joke . Too many not in who deserve to be & too many in who shouldn't be there .